Nov 26, 2013, 11:00 AM EDT
Red Bull team principal Christian Horner warned his team are unlikely to have let this year’s championship detract from their efforts to prepare for next year’s new engine regulations.
With a sweeping overhaul of the rulebook to come in 2014, Horner said his team had taken advantage of the opportunity to make an early start on next year’s car.
“Thankfully we managed to secure this championship reasonably early which has enabled all the focus to go onto the RB10, whilst obviously Ferrari and Mercedes have been battling each other for the runners-up position,” he told Sky.
“I think that of course we have been pushing the boundaries and [chief technical officer] Adrian [Newey] is never famous for starting next year’s car early and you know that is exactly the same case for the RB10,” Horner added.
Red Bull ended the season with nine consecutive victories – all scored by Sebastian Vettel – and Horner said the team have raised their game this year.
“We have some very good opponents, there are some very clever people in the other teams, but I think what we have achieved this year as a team – you know we have worked closer, harder, more effectively than any year – and we are always looking inwardly,” he said.
“Adrian and the technical team have done a brilliant job, all the departments, all the support, all the unsung heroes that you don’t get to see or hear about have all gone that extra yard and that is what has enabled us to achieve this kind of result.”
- Preview: IndyCar will race to honor Wilson, and to close its season, at Sonoma 0
- Andretti to field No. 25 car at Sonoma; Oriol Servia to drive Wilson tribute car 3
- IndyCars cross the Golden Gate Bridge; pay tribute to Justin Wilson (PHOTOS, VIDEO) 4
- Fast Facts: GoPro Grand Prix of Sonoma 4
- NHRA: Pro Stock driver Erica Enders hitting on all cylinders heading into U.S. Nationals 3
- IndyCar flashback: Justin Wilson finishes second, Will Power/Scott Dixon controversy at Sonoma 2013 (video) 3
- Report: FIA to conduct closed cockpit tests next month 13