Nov 26, 2013, 9:00 AM EDT
Sebastian Vettel made history by equaling Alberto Ascari’s record of nine consecutive wins in the Brazilian Grand Prix. Here’s five top stats from the race.
Vettel’s records rampage goes on
It’s taken 60 years for anyone to match Ascari’s record of winning nine consecutive race starts. Ascari skipped the 1953 Indianapolis 500 (which counted towards the championship) in his nine-wins streak.
Vettel also equaled Michael Schumacher’s record of 13 wins in a season (albeit in a 19-race schedule) and set a new record for most points in a season with 397.
No podium for McLaren…
For the first time since 1980, McLaren ended the season without scoring a single podium finish. Jenson Button gave them their best result of the season in Brazil with fourth.
…but at least they were reliable
However McLaren did establish a new record by completing 99.17% of the total race distance in 2013, a new record.
Chilton finishes every race
Max Chilton also set a new standard for consistency, becoming the first rookie driver to be classified in all of the 19 races he started in his maiden season.
Alonso still without Brazil win
Unusually, Fernando Alonso has now finished on the podium eight times at Interlagos yet has never won the race. No driver has finished on the podium more times in a single race without winning it.
- Cooler heads prevail as IndyCar drivers test at Texas (VIDEO) 0
- Jeff Gordon has bad news for his rivals: He’s thinking of racing for 10 more years 2
- NASCAR’s birthplace, the Streamline Hotel in Daytona Beach, to get significant makeover 0
- IndyCar remix: Toyota Grand Prix of Long Beach (VIDEO) 0
- Ten with Townsend: Long Beach Debrief 2
More from NASCAR America
- IndyCar: Massive crash triggered after round of pit stops (VIDEO) (17)
- American-based F1 franchise, Haas Formula, officially introduced (9)
- Andretti drivers say GP of Long Beach should stay with IndyCar (7)
- Kurt Busch won’t soon forget Clint Bowyer’s race-ruining shove at Darlington (VIDEO) (6)
- Dale Earnhardt Jr. and Jimmie Johnson do it old school style in a pair of classic pickup trucks (VIDEOS) (5)