Nov 27, 2013, 3:00 PM EDT
With the IndyCar season in the books and a limited amount of news to come since the season finale at Fontana, my MotorSportsTalk colleague Chris Estrada and are taking a look back at the 2013 season just past. Chris and I each ranked our top 10 drivers and some of the biggest stories; now we take a look back at the field driver-by-driver.
In lucky 13th in 2013, now free agent Simona de Silvestro…
Simona de Silvestro
- Team: KV Racing Technology
- 2012: 24th Place, Best Finish 13th, Best Start 17th
- 2013: 13th Place, Best Finish 2nd, Best Start 3rd, 1 Podium, 2 Top-5, 9 Top-10, 0 Laps Led, 15.4 Avg. Start, 12.6 Avg. Finish
DiZinno says: This was always supposed to be Simona’s breakout season with a switch to KV and a sixth at St. Petersburg – which would have been a podium but for fading tires – provided the first glimpse that the popular Swiss was back in the game after a year in the Lotus wilderness. But despite a quick start, she and the KV team fell into the lower midfield in the midseason even as her confidence on ovals improved. It wasn’t until Mid-Ohio that everything clicked once more and fortunately de Silvestro was able to finish with a flourish, five straight top-10s including her first podium at Houston Race 1. It was a big step forward for her as she and her management team evaluates potential suitors in 2014.
Estrada says: De Silvestro’s 2013 season can be summed up in six words: Good start, bad middle, good finish. Three Top-10s in the first four races were nice to see from her after being saddled with the appallingly bad Lotus engine in 2012, but as summer took hold, she fell back considerably with just one Top-10 in the next 10 races. However, things came back around for her as the season wound down and the runner-up performance in Houston Race 1 must have felt exceptional for her considering what she went through the year before. She feels confident that things are coming together for her in IndyCar, and I’m inclined to agree.
- NHRA: Rain washes out Friday’s first two rounds of qualifying four 4-Wide Nationals 0
- The Equalization Conundrum: Should F1 put sport to one side in favor of ‘the show’? 1
- Practice setbacks leave Hamilton “quite a bit off” in Malaysia (VIDEO) 2
- Verizon IndyCar Series 2015 preseason content roundup 0
- Hamilton hits back by topping second practice in Malaysia 0
- Rosberg quickest in Malaysia FP1 as Hamilton hits trouble 2
- Now IndyCar’s champion, Will Power’s mindset hasn’t changed heading into 2015 0