Nov 27, 2013, 3:00 PM EDT
With the IndyCar season in the books and a limited amount of news to come since the season finale at Fontana, my MotorSportsTalk colleague Chris Estrada and are taking a look back at the 2013 season just past. Chris and I each ranked our top 10 drivers and some of the biggest stories; now we take a look back at the field driver-by-driver.
In lucky 13th in 2013, now free agent Simona de Silvestro…
Simona de Silvestro
- Team: KV Racing Technology
- 2012: 24th Place, Best Finish 13th, Best Start 17th
- 2013: 13th Place, Best Finish 2nd, Best Start 3rd, 1 Podium, 2 Top-5, 9 Top-10, 0 Laps Led, 15.4 Avg. Start, 12.6 Avg. Finish
DiZinno says: This was always supposed to be Simona’s breakout season with a switch to KV and a sixth at St. Petersburg – which would have been a podium but for fading tires – provided the first glimpse that the popular Swiss was back in the game after a year in the Lotus wilderness. But despite a quick start, she and the KV team fell into the lower midfield in the midseason even as her confidence on ovals improved. It wasn’t until Mid-Ohio that everything clicked once more and fortunately de Silvestro was able to finish with a flourish, five straight top-10s including her first podium at Houston Race 1. It was a big step forward for her as she and her management team evaluates potential suitors in 2014.
Estrada says: De Silvestro’s 2013 season can be summed up in six words: Good start, bad middle, good finish. Three Top-10s in the first four races were nice to see from her after being saddled with the appallingly bad Lotus engine in 2012, but as summer took hold, she fell back considerably with just one Top-10 in the next 10 races. However, things came back around for her as the season wound down and the runner-up performance in Houston Race 1 must have felt exceptional for her considering what she went through the year before. She feels confident that things are coming together for her in IndyCar, and I’m inclined to agree.
Video from NASCAR America
- NASCAR AMERICA: Jeff Gordon, 24 team make statement at Dover (VIDEO) 0
- Weekend wrap-up: Was first Chase elimination race an exciting one? 0
- Tony Stewart speaks, cites overwhelming support in the search of return to normalcy 15
- Simon Pagenaud confirmed at Team Penske in fourth IndyCar 3
- Jeff Gordon advances to next round of Chase with first Dover victory since 2001 5
- Open letter from Kevin Ward Jr.’s aunt questions Tony Stewart, evidence of marijuana in nephew’s system 49
- Kyle Busch outduels Joey Logano for Nationwide win in Dover 2