Nov 28, 2013, 6:30 PM EDT
The first batch of tickets for the revived Austrian Grand Prix in Spielberg have sold out just 48 hours after going on sale.
Formula One last visited Austria in 2003 before the old A1 Ring was condemned and became unused. However, it has since been bought by Red Bull, redeveloped, renamed the Red Bull Ring, and has hosted top level events such as German touring car series DTM. With an Austrian team now dominating the sport, the time is right for the sport to return to the Red Bull Ring with a provisional date of June 22 set for 2014.
However, any fans hoping to make the trip to Austria for the race may end up disappointed after the first batch of tickets for the race sold out in just two days, according to the Austrian Press Agency. This has come as a result of low ticket prices – most probably due to them being subsidised by Red Bull – with the cheapest ticket for the race on Sunday being just $120, which is considerably cheaper than many other European races.
The circuit does not have a large capacity, although a request has been lodged to increase the seating numbers to 80,000 for qualifying and the race on Sunday. Following this initial batch of sales, another 10,000 tickets are expected to be released before the race next June.
This is a good sign for Formula One in Austria despite some concerns about the suitability of the circuit, and it also sets an example to the other races on the calendar. That said, most of the events do not enjoy the same kind of backing as this race does.
Video from NASCAR America
- WATCH LIVE: NASCAR AMERICA talks with Atlanta winner Kahne at 5 p.m. ET 0
- Gene Haas’ F1 team changes team name, launches new pages 3
- Cindric proposes IndyCar champion Will Power will run No. 1 in 2015 2
- NASCAR AMERICA: Assessing Tony Stewart’s return at Atlanta (VIDEO) 1
- Feelin’ free: Frustrations end for Chase-bound Kahne, IndyCar champ Power 3
- Honda preps for first simulations, expresses confidence it can match Mercedes 5
- Kenseth clinches Chase berth; Bowyer falls out of Grid with one race to go 1