Nov 28, 2013, 5:10 PM EDT
Force India’s deputy team principal Bob Fernley has said that the team is waiting on Lotus’ decision regarding its driver line up before making any announcements for 2014.
Lotus is currently thought to be waiting on a deal with Quantum Motorsports, a group of investors headed up by Mansoor Ijaz who has appeared at the last few races as a guest of the team. However, with the deal continually stalling, it seems that Lotus may have to approach Pastor Maldonado and offer him a drive relying he has funding from PDVSA in 2014. Should the Quantum deal go ahead though, Lotus will want to sign Nico Hulkenberg, although the German driver is reported to have signed for Force India in Brazil.
Speaking to ESPNF1, Fernley made clear that no decisions would be made until Lotus had made the first move.
“The stumbling block at the moment is who’s going with Lotus and until that’s resolved it’s very difficult to know what’s available,” he explained. “At the end of the season, we’ve got two very good drivers and there’s got to be a compelling reason to change one or both. We don’t really know which drivers are available yet.”
Current drivers Paul di Resta and Adrian Sutil enjoyed a good start to the season before suffering from a dramatic change in fortunes after the British Grand Prix, coinciding with the changes made to the Pirelli tires. di Resta is thought to be at risk of losing his seat, and he has said that he is open to a move to IndyCar should a place in Formula One prove impossible to find.
Sergio Perez is another driver that the team is thought to be considering for 2014, and Martin Whitmarsh inferred in Brazil that a deal had already been struck to keep the Mexican driver in Formula One following his sacking by McLaren.
The F1 season may be over, but at this rate, silly season is set to rumble on well into the new year.
Video from NASCAR America
- Bubba Wallace pays homage to NASCAR Hall of Famer Wendell Scott with encore win at Martinsville 1
- Marussia also set to miss United States GP 8
- Jimmie Johnson: ‘That day is out there’ when he’ll split with crew chief Chad Knaus 7
- Jeff Gordon would love to return to Saturday Night Live — and wants to bring Ricky Funck with him (video) 0
- 2-for-1: Jamie McMurray wins Martinsville pole, sets track record 0
- Caterham given dispensation to miss Austin and Brazil 3
- Caterham the latest team to fall foul of the Leafield ‘curse’ 1