Nov 28, 2013, 4:00 PM EDT
Two years after issues stemming from an Indy Lights race at the Milwaukee Mile, the INDYCAR sanctioning body has announced a resolution with O2 Racing Technology team owner Mark Olson.
Olson and his team were suspended for allegedly encouraging other teams to withdraw from the event and break their contracts with the series in doing so. His team was the only one to withdraw from the event, removing its two entries.
Following the suspensions, Olson filed an appeal but series officials upheld the decision in July of 2011, one month after the event.
In a release issued by the series yesterday, INDYCAR director of competition Derrick Walker said it was time to have the “slate wiped clean.”
“Regrettably, it’s taken a long time to sort this out,” he said. “I appreciate the passion and commitment that the all drivers and team owners bring to the sport, and Mark is no exception.
“Indy Lights is committed to work closer together with our team owners in the future to build and maintain a robust championship for decades to come. I’ve had the opportunity to work with Mark and know he is the type of business owner we would welcome in the series.”
Olson, in turn, commended the series for its “absolute commitment” to doing the right thing for its teams and drivers, as well as the sport at large.
“Speaking as both a fan and as a participant, INDYCAR is a great property and it’s been a lifelong dream to play even a small part,” he said. “I look forward to opportunities to work together in the future.”
Video from NASCAR America
- Joey Logano avoids “yellow fever,” wins at N.H. to advance in Chase 2
- Wreck involves several Chase drivers; Keselowski spins, suffers minor damage 0
- Rosberg reflects on a tough day in Singapore (VIDEO) 2
- Reports: 2015 Sprint Cup rules package expected to be released on Tuesday 2
- Hamilton rules in Singapore to re-take championship lead as Rosberg retires 1
- Rosberg forced to retire in Singapore after electrical glitch 2
- Brendan Gaughan takes lead with 6 laps to go, wins Nationwide at Kentucky 0