Nov 29, 2013, 12:30 PM EDT
With the IndyCar season in the books and a limited amount of news to come since the season finale at Fontana, my MotorSportsTalk colleague Chris Estrada and are taking a look back at the 2013 season just past. Chris and I each ranked our top 10 drivers and some of the biggest stories; now we take a look back at the field driver-by-driver.
P18, the second son at his father’s team in 2013 standings, Graham Rahal…
- Team: Rahal Letterman Lanigan Racing
- 2012: 10th Place, Best Finish 2nd, Best Start 3rd
- 2013: 18th Place, Best Finish 2nd, Best Start 6th, 1 Podium, 2 Top-5, 5 Top-10, 6 Laps Led, 17.7 Avg. Start, 14.8 Avg. Finish
DiZinno says: In 2012, Marco Andretti hit relative “rock bottom” with one runner-up finish, three top-10s in 15 races and 16th in the points. Graham Rahal’s homecoming to his dad’s team for 2013 was not supposed to mirror that, but it did. There was one runner-up finish, five top-10s in 19 races and 18th in the points. Andretti made the necessary adjustments to improve for 2013 – which he did – and young Rahal may need to do the same this offseason. Granted, he had his moments of glory (Long Beach, Iowa and Baltimore weekends were stout) and he was closer to the pace in qualifying once the team added Neil Fife to its engineering roster. But it was a terribly disappointing season and one he’d probably like to forget sooner rather than later.
Estrada says: All the optimism from Rahal’s return to the family team quickly vanished as the season wore on. Outside of a handful of efforts – his podium at Long Beach being the most prominent of those – the son of Bobby endured a very frustrating campaign that saw him struggle in qualifying (two Top-10 starts in 19 races) and also have some rough luck on race days, such as having to swallow a 17th-place finish at Baltimore due to late contact following a strong run. We’ll see if the addition of race engineer Bill Pappas to the RLL camp can help boost their fortunes next season.
- DiZinno: Mid-Ohio a dream weekend for Rahal, IndyCar, fans 0
- Dates for 2016 IndyCar schedule starting to come together 7
- NHRA: ‘Fast Jack’ Beckman earns 5th Funny Car win of 2015; Brown (TF), McGaha (PS), Krawiec (PSM) also win 5
- After dream-fulfilling day, Graham Rahal isn’t worried anymore 1
- Graham Rahal now trails Montoya by nine points in IndyCar standings 4
- Karam’s Mid-Ohio spin triggers frustration, skepticism from IndyCar paddock 13
- Rahal scores dream win on home soil in Honda 200 at Mid-Ohio 5