Nov 29, 2013, 11:00 AM EDT
With the IndyCar season in the books and a limited amount of news to come since the season finale at Fontana, my MotorSportsTalk colleague Chris Estrada and are taking a look back at the 2013 season just past. Chris and I each ranked our top 10 drivers and some of the biggest stories; now we take a look back at the field driver-by-driver.
P17 was Long Beach winner, Takuma Sato…
- Team: A.J. Foyt Enterprises
- 2012: 14th Place, Best Finish 2nd, Best Start 3rd
- 2013: 17th Place, 1 Win, 1 Pole, 2 Podiums, 2 Top-5, 4 Top-10, 187 Laps Led, 12.6 Avg. Start, 16.0 Avg. Finish
DiZinno says: The good, the bad and the ugly yet again for Sato in his fourth IndyCar season and third different team. The switch to Foyt brought out his best at the outset with the Long Beach win, the second at Brazil (even despite some questionable defending maneuvers), the near win at Milwaukee and the pole on the team’s home soil in Houston. He was probably Honda’s best shot the first half of the season before Ganassi and others got their act turned around. And then really from about Detroit on, it was “bad Taku” yet again, wreck after wreck after wreck that tested the team’s resolve, patience and budget. Sato finished only nine of 19 races this year and is likely, but not guaranteed, to return to Foyt’s squad next year.
Estrada says: Sato’s inaugural IndyCar win at Long Beach and runner-up at Sao Paulo had the A.J. Foyt Racing team atop the standings going into the Indy 500. And while he was unable to keep that lead, he still had a great first half. But after Milwaukee, things got real bad really fast for the ex-Formula One driver with nine DNFs in the final 10 races – a stretch that surely annoyed A.J. and his son/team manager, Larry. Even their pole-winning moment for Houston Race 1 went awry, with Sato going into the tires late before falling out a short time later with handling issues. A note: Sato’s competed in 68 races over the course of his IndyCar career, but has DNF’d in 29 of them (42.6 percent).
- Cooler heads prevail as IndyCar drivers test at Texas (VIDEO) 0
- Jeff Gordon has bad news for his rivals: He’s thinking of racing for 10 more years 2
- NASCAR’s birthplace, the Streamline Hotel in Daytona Beach, to get significant makeover 0
- IndyCar remix: Toyota Grand Prix of Long Beach (VIDEO) 0
- Ten with Townsend: Long Beach Debrief 2
More from NASCAR America
- IndyCar: Massive crash triggered after round of pit stops (VIDEO) (17)
- American-based F1 franchise, Haas Formula, officially introduced (9)
- Andretti drivers say GP of Long Beach should stay with IndyCar (7)
- Kurt Busch won’t soon forget Clint Bowyer’s race-ruining shove at Darlington (VIDEO) (6)
- Dale Earnhardt Jr. and Jimmie Johnson do it old school style in a pair of classic pickup trucks (VIDEOS) (5)