Nov 30, 2013, 8:21 PM EDT
With the country still catching its breath over the finish to today’s Iron Bowl between Auburn and Alabama, a certain question needs to be asked: Did NASCAR Sprint Cup driver Jamie McMurray bring the Tigers good luck?
The No. 1 Earnhardt Ganassi Racing Chevrolet that McMurray took to Victory Lane (pictured) featured the blue and orange “AU” logo of Auburn on its hood and quarter panels; the university got the placement through its partnership with Cessna, one of McMurray’s primary sponsors.
After the victory, McMurray admitted that he wasn’t a big fan of college football but said he enjoyed interacting with the “50/50 crowd” of ‘Dega race fans that either pulled for the Tigers or for the Crimson Tide.
“It was fun to see the fans in the garage area either high-five you or the opposite,” he said.
More than one month later, Auburn has shocked Alabama, 34-28, after the Tigers’ Chris Davis returned a missed Alabama field goal 100 yards (unofficially, 109 yards) for a touchdown on the last play of the game.
Perhaps Auburn should consider being on McMurray’s cars at Talladega every year.
- NHRA: Jack Beckman (54 races), Larry Morgan (120 races) snap lengthy winless streaks in 4-Wide Nationals 0
- Montoya’s evolution evident after statement victory in St. Pete 1
- Montoya ekes out win in St. Petersburg season opener 2
- Emotional Vettel revels in first victory for Ferrari 5
- Vettel claims shock win for Ferrari in Malaysia as Mercedes pays for strategy mistake 9
- NHRA: C. Force, Todd, McGaha and Arana Jr. qualify No. 1 for 4-Wide Nationals eliminations 0
- Teaser clip: F1 on NBC’s “Off the Grid” hits Mexico (VIDEO) 1