Dec 1, 2013, 7:39 PM EDT
This past September, the American Le Mans Series and FIA World Endurance Championship shared the weekend at Circuit of the Americas in Austin, Texas. But the WEC’s boss wants changes to be made for the 2014 running before he decides to bring his series back to the States.
According to John Dagys of SportsCar 365, Gerard Neveu is asking that his WEC stage a day-to-night event on that Saturday afternoon, while the TUDOR United SportsCar Championship potentially shifts to running earlier that day; in 2013, the ALMS held its race at COTA on Saturday with the WEC following on Sunday.
In his comments to Dagys, Neveu expressed his wishes for a compromise between the WEC and the United series, but noted that he and the other teams in his series were not pleased about the Austin weekend this fall. As Dagys writes, less than 8,000 people out of the overall weekend attendance of 35,000 reportedly took in the WEC’s six-hour event at COTA.
“…Clearly the position of the [Automobile Club de l’Ouest] is to protect the WEC, it’s not to promote another series,” Neveu says. “In all spirits, when we wanted to do a joint venture, it was to make sure it was a successful event for both parties during the weekend.
“This is not the feeling after Austin. This is not the feeling that the paddock had in Austin. This is not the feeling and the feedback we received from our partners and from the FIA.”
Neveu also revealed that discussions are underway between the track and IMSA regarding the weekend’s organization.
- Dixon fastest on Friday at Mid-Ohio 1
- Hinchcliffe undergoes final surgery, now “can’t wait to be strapping back in” 2
- With 2016 plans undetermined, Newgarden focused on finishing 2015 strong 1
- Racing, music blend as Umphrey’s McGee partners with GTSport Racing for rest of 2015 PWC season 1
- Exploring what’s next for Derrick Walker as he announces he’s leaving IndyCar 0
- INDYCAR announces Derrick Walker has resigned from series 9
- Preview: Honda Indy 200 at Mid-Ohio critical in IndyCar title chase 1