Dec 2, 2013, 1:30 PM EDT
In 2013, it took some getting used to two different things regarding the No. 20 Joe Gibbs Racing Toyota in the NASCAR Sprint Cup Series.
One, it wasn’t Tony Stewart or Joey Logano in the car but it was Matt Kenseth in his first year driving something other than a Blue Oval. And two, it wasn’t orange for most of the year in deference to longtime sponsor The Home Depot, but instead yellow for new primary sponsor Dollar General for 17 of the 36 races.
After a year in which Kenseth and the JGR team gelled almost immediately and won a series-high seven races, Dollar General is upping its support of the team to 27 races as primary sponsor in 2014. Home Depot and Husky had been announced for 21 races, previously, and are expected to continue albeit with now fewer races as primary sponsor.
“Dollar General is excited to build on its successful partnership with Joe Gibbs Racing and sponsor more races with Matt Kenseth and the No. 20 team next year,” Rick Dreiling, Dollar General’s chairman and CEO said in a release. “NASCAR is key to connecting with our customers, many of whom are loyal race fans, and we look forward to a continued partnership with JGR to further our business.”
Kenseth finished second in this year’s Chase to six-time champion Jimmie Johnson, with only one bad race (Phoenix) in the 10-race Chase.
- Alonso fastest in first practice for Chinese GP 0
- Flashback to when a 67-second pit stop at the Indy 500 was fast vs. a modern-day F1 stop (video) 1
- VIDEO: Chinese GP Paddock Pass 0
- BREAKING NEWS: Swan Racing’s future in NASCAR in question 2
- Long Beach weekend atmosphere thrills Roger Daltrey, as he promotes Teen Cancer America 0
More from NASCAR America
- IndyCar: Massive crash triggered after round of pit stops (VIDEO) (17)
- American-based F1 franchise, Haas Formula, officially introduced (9)
- Andretti drivers say GP of Long Beach should stay with IndyCar (7)
- Kurt Busch won’t soon forget Clint Bowyer’s race-ruining shove at Darlington (VIDEO) (6)
- Dale Earnhardt Jr. and Jimmie Johnson do it old school style in a pair of classic pickup trucks (VIDEOS) (5)