Dec 2, 2013, 4:23 PM EDT
After seeing his face on the Borg-Warner Trophy for the first time today in Indianapolis, 2013 Indy 500 champion Tony Kanaan was complimentary of those who worked on his bas-relief image.
“I look better than I thought,” the Brazilian said during a special ceremony at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway’s Hall of Fame Museum.
Kanaan’s place on the Borg-Warner bears the year of his victory and the 2013 race’s average speed of 187.433 miles per hour, which stands as a ’500′ record.
T.K. is also in the company of good friends Dan Wheldon and Dario Franchitti on the trophy, as the late Wheldon won the 2011 race and the recently-retired Franchitti secured the final win of his career in the 2012 race.
“Before I won the ’500,’ I had nightmares about not winning it and I finally won,” Kanaan said. “Having my two best friends Dan [Wheldon] and Dario [Franchitti] win and putting my face right beside them is an honor. It’s a magical moment.”
Main photo credit: Steve Shunck
- Vettel suspects Mercedes of sandbagging during practice 0
- Mattiacci determined to turn around Ferrari’s failing season 1
- Hamilton recovers in FP2 to edge out Alonso and Rosberg 0
- Alonso fastest in first practice for Chinese GP 1
- Flashback to when a 67-second pit stop at the Indy 500 was fast vs. a modern-day F1 stop (video) 3
More from NASCAR America
- IndyCar: Massive crash triggered after round of pit stops (VIDEO) (17)
- American-based F1 franchise, Haas Formula, officially introduced (9)
- Andretti drivers say GP of Long Beach should stay with IndyCar (7)
- Kurt Busch won’t soon forget Clint Bowyer’s race-ruining shove at Darlington (VIDEO) (6)
- Dale Earnhardt Jr. and Jimmie Johnson do it old school style in a pair of classic pickup trucks (VIDEOS) (5)