Dec 2, 2013, 10:00 AM EDT
NASCAR will return to NBC starting in 2015 and on Monday, the NBC Sports Group made its first personnel announcement for the coverage. NBC Sports and NBCSN Executive Producer Sam Flood announced Emmy Award-winning sports TV producer and executive Jeff Behnke will join NBC and NBCSN in January as Vice President of NASCAR Production. He’ll work out of Charlotte, where a majority of the series’ teams are based, the first time where a network head has been based in that area.
“Jeff Behnke’s talent, creativity and experience make him the kind of leader that we want on our team,” Flood said. “Jeff is going to add a great deal to our partnership with NASCAR, and I am thrilled to welcome him to the NBC Sports Family.”
Behnke’s extensive experience includes serving as Executive Producer at Turner Sports for seven years, coordinating and covering NASCAR, NBA, MLB and several of golf’s major championships. That capped a 27-year run at Turner; prior to that, Behnke also worked with ABC for its Indianapolis 500, Wide World of Sports and Olympics coverage.
“It’s an honor and a privilege to join NBC Sports,” said Behnke. “I’m looking forward to this opportunity to be a part of NBC’s history of excellence in sports television and unmatched leadership.”
NASCAR announced details of its return to NBC in July. Starting in 2015, the NBC Sports Group will carry the last 20 Sprint Cup races, final 19 Nationwide Series races (under whatever new name that series will take on after Nationwide title sponsorship leaves), and select regional touring series events.
The full release on Behnke’s appointment can be found here, via the NBC Sports Group Press Box website.
- Hamilton pleased to fend off Ferrari in Bahrain despite last lap brake scare 0
- Hamilton puts on a show under the lights to win Bahrain GP 1
- Off The Grid: Melbourne premieres 1:30pm ET on NBCSN (VIDEO) 0
- Castroneves secures pole in IndyCar qualifying at Long Beach 1
- Hamilton eases to fourth straight pole position in Bahrain 0
- Hamilton closes out Bahrain GP practice on top 0
- INDYCAR confirms more aero kit updates coming to Long Beach 1