Dec 2, 2013, 12:35 PM EST
After retiring last month due to injuries sustained in an October accident at the Shell/Pennzoil Grand Prix of Houston, four-time IndyCar champion and three-time Indianapolis 500 winner Dario Franchitti has expressed his wishes to return to the paddock in some role with Chip Ganassi Racing.
“Chip and I have talked about something next year, I’d love to work with the team in IndyCar – I just won’t be behind the wheel anymore,” Franchitti said during last night’s Autosport Awards in London, which marked his first public appearance since the last-lap crash at Reliant Park.
The Scotsman – who sustained spinal injuries, a fractured ankle, and a concussion in the Houston crash – also touched upon how tough it’s been to truly come to terms with the fact that his career is over, noting that he still thinks about driving a car and that “the passion is still there to do something.”
Nonetheless, he also mentioned how proud he was of the career he had.
“I’ve had a wonderful time, a great career – I wouldn’t call it a career, it was what I loved to do,” he said. “I never called it a job. It’s been an absolute privilege.”
“In a lot of ways, I’m lucky to be here to take that decision. It’s a kick in the b—s, but I’ll move on to the next stage.”
A well-stated sentiment, altogether. While we’ll miss seeing Franchitti in the cockpit next year, it’s good to hear that he’s not planning on staying away from the track and that he wants to help the team that helped him enjoy so much success in his driving tenure.
Video from NASCAR America
- Rosberg closes out Abu Dhabi practice fastest 0
- Abu Dhabi GP Paddock Notebook – Friday 0
- Jimmie Johnson: Kevin Harvick winning Sprint Cup title was “the right thing” 18
- 2014 F1 championship showdown preview: Nico Rosberg 0
- 2014 F1 championship showdown preview: Lewis Hamilton 0
- Hamilton quickest in second practice for Abu Dhabi GP 0
- First blood to Hamilton in Abu Dhabi as he tops FP1 0