Dec 2, 2013, 5:36 PM EDT
What’s old is new again for the Indianapolis Motor Speedway Radio Network, as Paul Page – the voice of the Indianapolis 500 from 1977 to 1987 – has returned to the post.
“It’s an overused phrase, but it’s almost a dream come true,” Page told Curt Cavin of The Indianapolis Star on Monday. “I’ve always thought radio was so much more fun to do, and I think more artistic.
“A radio broadcast can be your creation, not what [a television screen] shows you. It’s so much more lively and creative.”
Page is replacing Mike King, who stepped down as the IMS Radio Network’s lead announcer on Nov. 1 to tend to his family and other business responsibilities.
In rejoining IMSRN, Page becomes the first of the six “Voices of the 500″ to have a second run. He first joined in 1974 as a pit reporter and was mentored by the lead announcer at the time, Sid Collins; Page then took over as lead himself after the legendary Collins died a few weeks before the 1977 running of the “500.”
After a decade that also saw him anchor NBC’s auto racing coverage on television in addition to his “500” work, Page joined ABC in 1987 and his announcing effectively became one and the same with American open-wheel racing.
In 2005, however, he was re-assigned from his role on ABC’s Indy Racing League coverage to other events within the ABC/ESPN portfolio. He served as lead announcer for NHRA drag racing from 2006 to 2012.
Page later confirmed the report with this tweet:
I am so proud to return to anchor the Indianapolis 500 radio and the IndyCar series. Thanks to all who supported me.
— Paul Page (@PaulPageTV) December 3, 2013
- Castroneves secures pole in IndyCar qualifying at Long Beach 0
- Hamilton eases to fourth straight pole position in Bahrain 0
- Hamilton closes out Bahrain GP practice on top 0
- INDYCAR confirms more aero kit updates coming to Long Beach 1
- Rocky Moran Jr. to replace Huertas in Coyne’s No. 18 for Long Beach 7
- Rosberg heads up Mercedes one-two in Bahrain FP2 1
- Kimi Raikkonen quickest in first practice for Bahrain GP 2