Dec 3, 2013, 1:30 PM EST
Despite missing the final months of the 2013 season, Tony Stewart hasn’t been forgotten by NASCAR Nation. The latest sign of that came this morning, when it was announced that the three-time Sprint Cup champion had won a fan vote to earn the cover for the upcoming “NASCAR ’14″ video game.
NASCAR says over 700,000 votes came in for the Facebook competition and that Stewart – who had his season end when he broke his right leg in a sprint car crash back in August – garnered nearly one-fifth of all the votes.
According to the Associated Press, he took 69 percent of the vote in the final round to beat four-time Cup champ Jeff Gordon for the cover.
“Being selected by the fans to be on the cover of NASCAR ‘14 is a huge honor,” Stewart said in a NASCAR release. “It’s been a long couple of months, but my fans’ passion has been one of the driving factors in helping me rehab and my ability to prepare for returning to the race car in February.”
Throughout Stewart’s recovery, his legion of fans have rallied around him and especially so on social media, where the #SmokeWillRise Twitter hashtag has now become ubiquitous among NASCAR followers. Now, his fans on Facebook have enabled him to earn a third NASCAR video game cover.
Back in September, Stewart noted how grateful he’s been for the support during his first media conference since the accident.
“I know there’s a lot of fans that haven’t been able to talk to us that are supportive, and that’s the stuff…When I’m having a bad day at therapy and I don’t feel like doing it or it hurts and you don’t want to go those extra 10 minutes or whatever, that’s the things that you put in your mind that help keep you motivated and wanting to push to get through this and get healthy,” he said at the time.
“Because it’s not just for me, it’s for 200 people here at Stewart-Haas Racing…It’s for our fans. It’s for the people that support us every week that miss me being in the race car.”
And there are plenty of those people that are waiting for him to get back to doing what he does best.
- Joey Logano wins Vegas pole, Penske claims front row again 0
- 5 storylines that could define the 2014 F1 season 1
- Indianapolis 500 2014 Qualifying Format Revealed 5
- Schumacher “still in the wake up phase” 0
- Driver, team owner and now actor: Tony Stewart’s first edition of ‘Smoke is The Bandit’ is released (video) 0
- Instead of significant improvement, 2014 starting off the way 2013 ended for Danica Patrick (10)
- Kurt Busch gives IndyCar chance to show they’ve learned lesson on promotion (10)
- Alonso discovers an F1 take on Ellen’s Oscar “Selfie” (6)
- Chrysler orders nearly 100 pristine Dodge Vipers destroyed (6)
- Disastrous day for Red Bull as Vettel manages just half a lap (5)