Dec 3, 2013, 12:38 PM EDT
A pair of racing legends, NASCAR Hall of Famer Bobby Allison and four-time Indianapolis 500 winner Rick Mears, are each celebrating their birthdays today.
Allison, who turns 76, was the 1983 Winston Cup champion and also was a multi-time winner in some of the sport’s most prestigious races. He was a four-time winner of the original Southern 500 at Darlington Raceway (1971-72, 1975, 1983), a three-time winner in both the Daytona 500 (1978, 1982, 1988), and a two-time winner of the World 600 – known today as the Coca-Cola 600 – at Charlotte Motor Speedway (1981, 1984).
His 84 Cup victories put him at No. 4 on the all-time wins list. You can see highlights from Allison’s Daytona victory in 1988 below:
Mears, who turns 62, also stands as one of racing’s great competitors. In addition to being just one of three drivers to have earned the distinction of winning the “500″ four times (1979, 1984, 1988, 1991), he also holds the record for most “500″ poles with six and claimed three IndyCar national championships (’79, 1981, 1982).
A member of multiple racing Hall of Fames, Mears keeps busy these days as a consultant to Team Penske, the squad that helped him achieve his success.
As part of its Centennial Celebration a few years back, the Indianapolis Motor Speedway produced a clip centered around Mears’ victory over Michael Andretti in the ’91 edition of the “500.” You can watch that below as well:
- Alonso fastest in first practice for Chinese GP 0
- Flashback to when a 67-second pit stop at the Indy 500 was fast vs. a modern-day F1 stop (video) 1
- VIDEO: Chinese GP Paddock Pass 0
- BREAKING NEWS: Swan Racing’s future in NASCAR in question 2
- Long Beach weekend atmosphere thrills Roger Daltrey, as he promotes Teen Cancer America 0
More from NASCAR America
- IndyCar: Massive crash triggered after round of pit stops (VIDEO) (17)
- American-based F1 franchise, Haas Formula, officially introduced (9)
- Andretti drivers say GP of Long Beach should stay with IndyCar (7)
- Kurt Busch won’t soon forget Clint Bowyer’s race-ruining shove at Darlington (VIDEO) (6)
- Dale Earnhardt Jr. and Jimmie Johnson do it old school style in a pair of classic pickup trucks (VIDEOS) (5)