Dec 3, 2013, 12:38 PM EDT
A pair of racing legends, NASCAR Hall of Famer Bobby Allison and four-time Indianapolis 500 winner Rick Mears, are each celebrating their birthdays today.
Allison, who turns 76, was the 1983 Winston Cup champion and also was a multi-time winner in some of the sport’s most prestigious races. He was a four-time winner of the original Southern 500 at Darlington Raceway (1971-72, 1975, 1983), a three-time winner in both the Daytona 500 (1978, 1982, 1988), and a two-time winner of the World 600 – known today as the Coca-Cola 600 – at Charlotte Motor Speedway (1981, 1984).
His 84 Cup victories put him at No. 4 on the all-time wins list. You can see highlights from Allison’s Daytona victory in 1988 below:
Mears, who turns 62, also stands as one of racing’s great competitors. In addition to being just one of three drivers to have earned the distinction of winning the “500″ four times (1979, 1984, 1988, 1991), he also holds the record for most “500″ poles with six and claimed three IndyCar national championships (’79, 1981, 1982).
A member of multiple racing Hall of Fames, Mears keeps busy these days as a consultant to Team Penske, the squad that helped him achieve his success.
As part of its Centennial Celebration a few years back, the Indianapolis Motor Speedway produced a clip centered around Mears’ victory over Michael Andretti in the ’91 edition of the “500.” You can watch that below as well:
- IndyCar’s “nearly” man, Justin Wilson, set to overachieve once more 0
- The ingredients are set for Graham Rahal’s big, breakout year 0
- Talladega Nights-inspired restaurant sued by Sony Pictures 2
- It’s happy hour at Team Penske after Vegas sweep (VIDEO) 1
- Australian GP wide open, both from past stats and preseason tests 0
- Kurt Busch gives IndyCar chance to show they’ve learned lesson on promotion (10)
- F1 on NBC Sports TV, streaming schedule for 2014 Australian Grand Prix (7)
- Chrysler orders nearly 100 pristine Dodge Vipers destroyed (7)
- NNS: Elliott’s car found too low, shock taken from Keselowski’s car (6)
- Busch news kicks off what may be a busy Tuesday for IndyCar (5)