Dec 3, 2013, 10:21 AM EDT
Nico Hulkenberg will switch from Sauber to Force India for the 2014 Formula One season, the team announced Tuesday. It will mark Hulkenberg’s second stint with Force India, having served as a reserve and Friday driver for the team in 2011 and race driver in 2012.
The team called it a “multi-year deal” with the 26-year-old German, who has starred in each of his three full seasons with three different teams but faced a consistent challenge in trying to break out of the midfield into a top team. As it is, he’ll be tasked with leading Force India’s charge up the grid from 2014.
“I am happy to come back to Sahara Force India,” he said. “The team is aiming high for next year and I believe that the experience I have gained over the years will help us achieve those goals. I genuinely believe we can have a competitive package in 2014. I’ve heard a lot of positive things about the Mercedes engine as well, so I think there is a lot to be excited about for next year. I know this team and I can see their determination; it’s a great bunch of people and we all share the same hunger for success.”
Team principal Vijay Mallya said the Hulkenberg signing confirms its intention to build and grow the squad from best in the midfield to closer to the upper tier of the field.
“I’m delighted to see Nico back with Sahara Force India,” he said. “When he drove for us in 2012, it became clear Nico was an exceptional talent and he has continued to impress everyone in the paddock with his strong performances this season. Having Nico in our line-up is a real statement of intent and a huge boost for everyone associated with the team. We have high hopes and expectations for 2014 and by signing Nico we have put ourselves in the best position to achieve those objectives and enjoy what could be our most competitive season yet.”
Hulkenberg’s 2012 season featured 10 points paying results with three-top fives, fourth in the Belgian Grand Prix and fifth at both the European (Valencia) and Brazilian Grands Prix. At the latter event, Hulkenberg led a portion of the race and was on course for either a shock win or podium before contact with Lewis Hamilton.
As for what this does to the driver market, Sauber has for sure one vacancy although it will likely have two. Sergio Perez is front-runner for Force India’s second seat, with the team’s 2013 drivers Adrian Sutil and Paul di Resta unlikely to return. Sauber seems to have three candidates for two seats, with Sutil, its other 2013 driver Esteban Gutierrez, and Russian rookie Sergey Sirotkin all in the frame for drives. Sirotkin is expected if he is granted an FIA Superlicence.
Video from NASCAR America
- Roger Penske defends Keselowski, says other drivers “jealous” of his success 0
- What now if your favorite driver is eliminated from Chase? 1
- Brad Keselowski wins at Talladega on 2nd G-W-C attempt, advances in Chase 10
- UPDATED: Chase contender Kyle Busch back on track after Lap 102 crash (VIDEO) 0
- Faced with must-win scenarios, Earnhardt, Johnson lead halfway at Talladega 0
- Surprising revelation: Dale Jr. admits he coasted earlier in his career — ‘I just rested on my legacy and last name’ 0
- With nothing left to do but win, Dale Earnhardt Jr. faces Talladega with optimism 0