Dec 3, 2013, 12:00 PM EDT
With the IndyCar season in the books and a limited amount of news to come since the season finale at Fontana, my MotorSportsTalk colleague Chris Estrada and are taking a look back at the 2013 season just past. Chris and I each ranked our top 10 drivers and some of the biggest stories; now we take a look back at the field driver-by-driver.
P24 after a year with Barracuda Racing, then a cameo for Target Chip Ganassi Racing at Fontana, Alex Tagliani…
- Teams: Barracuda Racing, Target Chip Ganassi Racing
- 2012: 17th Place, Best Finish 5th, 1 Pole
- 2013: 24th Place (14 Starts), Best Finish 10th, Best Start 5th, 0 Top-5, 2 Top-10, 6 Laps Led, 15.6 Avg. Start, 17.6 Avg. Finish
DiZinno says: Tagliani’s storming second half of 2012 led me and several others in the IndyCar paddock to expect 2013 as a breakout season for the Canadian at Barracuda Racing … but 13 underwhelming races later it was a breakup for the Tag/Bryan Herta pairing. Several factors played a role; the team struggled to adapt to Firestone’s 2013 compounds and Tagliani was often in the wrong place in the wrong time. There were self-inflicted errors, too, and outside of two top-10s and one Firestone Fast Six appearance far too few results. Still, Tagliani boosted his stock once more with what Chip Ganassi deemed a “stellar” drive filling in for Dario Franchitti at Fontana. Hard to say whether he’ll get another IndyCar full season or shift to sports cars.
Estrada says: Tagliani’s 2013 season with Barracuda Racing was a letdown. Driver and team could never get on track with a top finish of only 10th (achieved twice, St. Petersburg and Toronto Race 2) and four DNFs before they parted ways after the Toronto weekend. But the Canadian was able to show what he can do with top-flight equipment when he suited up for the injured Dario Franchitti as part of Target Chip Ganassi Racing at Fontana. He worked his way into the Top 5 by the midway point and even led some laps before he spun and hit the wall late. We’ll see if that performance convinced somebody to give him a full-time program in 2014.
- Power steals final pole of IndyCar’s 2015 season with new track record at Sonoma 2
- Oriol Servia reflects on his friend Justin Wilson, as he races No. 25 car at Sonoma (VIDEO) 0
- IndyCar’s championship contenders ready their thoughts, minds for Sonoma finale 1
- Here are your NBCSN TV times, weekend coverage plan for IndyCar’s Sonoma season finale 0
- Preview: IndyCar will race to honor Wilson, and to close its season, at Sonoma 1
- Andretti to field No. 25 car at Sonoma; Oriol Servia to drive Wilson tribute car 4
- IndyCars cross the Golden Gate Bridge; pay tribute to Justin Wilson (PHOTOS, VIDEO) 5