Dec 3, 2013, 10:00 AM EST
Well now, Mercedes will be doing the first running of Formula One’s offseason too. Except this time, it will conform to the regulations.
The team will test Friday at Silverstone with Malaysian driver Jazeman Jaafar, 21, using a 2011-spec W02 chassis (one two years old) with demonstration tires. Jaafar is backed by Mercedes’ title sponsor Petronas, and has competed in British F3 and the World Series by Renault in 2013. His best WSR result was third at Monaco, and he also finished sixth at this year’s Macau F3 race.
Jaafar’s test will be the first for a Malaysian in F1 machinery since Fairuz Fauzy had five Friday free practice one outings with the Lotus (now Caterham) team in 2010. Alex Yoong is the only Malaysian to have started a Grand Prix, competing with Minardi from 2001 to 2002.
Understandably, this test means very little in the grand scheme of things considering that teams can’t test their 2013 chassis following the last checkered flag of the year at Brazil about a week and a half ago. Additionally, teams have yet to get any running on the new-for-2014 Pirelli compounds, and details are still being worked about to figure out when that can happen and with what machinery.
Still, in a month where there’s little on-track action going on around the world, it will be interesting to see how Jaafar gets on.
- 5 storylines that could define the 2014 F1 season 1
- Indianapolis 500 2014 Qualifying Format Revealed 5
- Schumacher “still in the wake up phase” 0
- Driver, team owner and now actor: Tony Stewart’s first edition of ‘Smoke is The Bandit’ is released (video) 0
- Chrysler orders nearly 100 pristine Dodge Vipers destroyed 6
- Instead of significant improvement, 2014 starting off the way 2013 ended for Danica Patrick (10)
- Kurt Busch gives IndyCar chance to show they’ve learned lesson on promotion (10)
- Alonso discovers an F1 take on Ellen’s Oscar “Selfie” (6)
- Chrysler orders nearly 100 pristine Dodge Vipers destroyed (6)
- Disastrous day for Red Bull as Vettel manages just half a lap (5)