Dec 3, 2013, 10:00 AM EDT
Well now, Mercedes will be doing the first running of Formula One’s offseason too. Except this time, it will conform to the regulations.
The team will test Friday at Silverstone with Malaysian driver Jazeman Jaafar, 21, using a 2011-spec W02 chassis (one two years old) with demonstration tires. Jaafar is backed by Mercedes’ title sponsor Petronas, and has competed in British F3 and the World Series by Renault in 2013. His best WSR result was third at Monaco, and he also finished sixth at this year’s Macau F3 race.
Jaafar’s test will be the first for a Malaysian in F1 machinery since Fairuz Fauzy had five Friday free practice one outings with the Lotus (now Caterham) team in 2010. Alex Yoong is the only Malaysian to have started a Grand Prix, competing with Minardi from 2001 to 2002.
Understandably, this test means very little in the grand scheme of things considering that teams can’t test their 2013 chassis following the last checkered flag of the year at Brazil about a week and a half ago. Additionally, teams have yet to get any running on the new-for-2014 Pirelli compounds, and details are still being worked about to figure out when that can happen and with what machinery.
Still, in a month where there’s little on-track action going on around the world, it will be interesting to see how Jaafar gets on.
- Alonso fastest in first practice for Chinese GP 0
- Flashback to when a 67-second pit stop at the Indy 500 was fast vs. a modern-day F1 stop (video) 1
- VIDEO: Chinese GP Paddock Pass 0
- BREAKING NEWS: Swan Racing’s future in NASCAR in question 2
- Long Beach weekend atmosphere thrills Roger Daltrey, as he promotes Teen Cancer America 0
More from NASCAR America
- IndyCar: Massive crash triggered after round of pit stops (VIDEO) (17)
- American-based F1 franchise, Haas Formula, officially introduced (9)
- Andretti drivers say GP of Long Beach should stay with IndyCar (7)
- Kurt Busch won’t soon forget Clint Bowyer’s race-ruining shove at Darlington (VIDEO) (6)
- Dale Earnhardt Jr. and Jimmie Johnson do it old school style in a pair of classic pickup trucks (VIDEOS) (5)