Dec 3, 2013, 10:00 AM EDT
Well now, Mercedes will be doing the first running of Formula One’s offseason too. Except this time, it will conform to the regulations.
The team will test Friday at Silverstone with Malaysian driver Jazeman Jaafar, 21, using a 2011-spec W02 chassis (one two years old) with demonstration tires. Jaafar is backed by Mercedes’ title sponsor Petronas, and has competed in British F3 and the World Series by Renault in 2013. His best WSR result was third at Monaco, and he also finished sixth at this year’s Macau F3 race.
Jaafar’s test will be the first for a Malaysian in F1 machinery since Fairuz Fauzy had five Friday free practice one outings with the Lotus (now Caterham) team in 2010. Alex Yoong is the only Malaysian to have started a Grand Prix, competing with Minardi from 2001 to 2002.
Understandably, this test means very little in the grand scheme of things considering that teams can’t test their 2013 chassis following the last checkered flag of the year at Brazil about a week and a half ago. Additionally, teams have yet to get any running on the new-for-2014 Pirelli compounds, and details are still being worked about to figure out when that can happen and with what machinery.
Still, in a month where there’s little on-track action going on around the world, it will be interesting to see how Jaafar gets on.
- IndyCar: Will high grip and high tempers equal high drama at Barber? 0
- NHRA drag racing superstar John Force goes on vacation — at a dragstrip, of course 0
- Swan Racing restructures, splits up two-car Sprint Cup operation 0
- It’s official: Redskins QB RG III to drive pace car at Richmond for Saturday’s Sprint Cup race 2
- Raikkonen: Yes, he’s still motivated, otherwise he wouldn’t be here 7
More from NASCAR America
- VIDEO: Vettel ignores team orders, telling team “tough luck” (20)
- Alonso’s doing it again – another year outperforming teammate, equipment (12)
- NASCAR still humming along after last fall’s Richmond scandal (9)
- In re-released interview, Brad Keselowski recalls how Rick Hendrick left him heartbroken (8)
- Maldonado brushes off crash and spin in practice (7)