Dec 4, 2013, 10:25 AM EDT
Formula One’s final 2014 schedule has now been confirmed by the FIA’s World Motorsport Council and will feature 19 races, dropping the Grand Prix of America and races in Mexico and Korea from the most recent provisional calendar that was released in September.
Officials from the GP of America, which was to take place June 1, 2014 in Weehawken, New Jersey, visited the Circuit of the Americas last month for meetings during the United States Grand Prix weekend.
At that time, Chris Pook, one of the GP of America’s executives, told MotorSportsTalk’s Tony DiZinno that plans for the race were progressing along.
But now, the proposed second Grand Prix here in the States has been taken off the calendar for a second time and will have to wait until at least 2015.
Additionally, the Korean Grand Prix has lost its place following a four-year run at Yeongam, South Korea, and Mexico must also wait one more year for another chance to get back on the F1 calendar; F1 has not visited our neighbors to the south since 1992.
Multiple changes have taken place on the final schedule as a result of all of this. The Abu Dhabi Grand Prix is now slated to be the season finale after having been listed for Oct. 26, 2014 on the provisional calendar, while the United States Grand Prix has moved up from Nov. 9 (provisional) to Nov. 2, 2014; the Brazilian Grand Prix now takes over the USGP’s previous spot on Nov. 9.
2014 FIA Formula One World Championship
March 16 – Australian Grand Prix
March 30 – Malaysian Grand Prix
April 6 – Bahrain Grand Prix
April 20 – Chinese Grand Prix
May 11 – Spanish Grand Prix
May 25 – Monaco Grand Prix
June 8 – Canadian Grand Prix
June 22 – Austrian Grand Prix
July 6 – British Grand Prix
July 20 – German Grand Prix at Hockenheim
July 27 – Hungarian Grand Prix
August 24 – Belgian Grand Prix
September 7 – Italian Grand Prix
September 21 – Singapore Grand Prix
October 5 – Japanese Grand Prix
October 12 – Russian Grand Prix
November 2 – United States Grand Prix
November 9 – Brazilian Grand Prix
November 23 – Abu Dhabi Grand Prix
- Vettel suspects Mercedes of sandbagging during practice 0
- Mattiacci determined to turn around Ferrari’s failing season 2
- Hamilton recovers in FP2 to edge out Alonso and Rosberg 0
- Alonso fastest in first practice for Chinese GP 1
- Flashback to when a 67-second pit stop at the Indy 500 was fast vs. a modern-day F1 stop (video) 3
More from NASCAR America
- IndyCar: Massive crash triggered after round of pit stops (VIDEO) (17)
- American-based F1 franchise, Haas Formula, officially introduced (9)
- Andretti drivers say GP of Long Beach should stay with IndyCar (7)
- Kurt Busch won’t soon forget Clint Bowyer’s race-ruining shove at Darlington (VIDEO) (6)
- Dale Earnhardt Jr. and Jimmie Johnson do it old school style in a pair of classic pickup trucks (VIDEOS) (5)