Dec 4, 2013, 11:30 AM EDT
With the IndyCar season in the books and a limited amount of news to come since the season finale at Fontana, my MotorSportsTalk colleague Chris Estrada and are taking a look back at the 2013 season just past. Chris and I each ranked our top 10 drivers and some of the biggest stories; now we take a look back at the field driver-by-driver.
P29 and the last driver to make seven or more starts, likeable Brazilian Ana Beatriz…
- Teams: Dale Coyne Racing
- 2012: 29th Place (2 Starts), Best Finish 20th, Best Start 13th
- 2013: 29th Place (7 Starts), Best Finish 14th, Best Start 19th, 0 Laps Led, 22.7 Avg. Start, 20.1 Avg. Finish
DiZinno says: The last of those who made seven or more starts this year, but suffered from the same issue as Sebastian Saavedra: anonymity. Beatriz, unfortunately, had the worst timing of anyone to drive Dale Coyne’s second car, with an engine clearly down on power in the opening run of four road and street course races. The car looked like an absolute bucking bronco to try to corral at St. Petersburg, and it was reflected in a time substantially off the pace. On ovals, she had her best Indianapolis 500 to date with a 14-spot improvement from 29th to 15th, and remained a solid midfielder on the two short ovals in Milwaukee and Iowa. But I’m not sure whether the likeable Brazilian will get another chance. After two part-time seasons and a constant struggle to find funding, “Bia” may be solamente en Sao Paulo in 2014.
Estrada says: One of several drivers in Dale Coyne’s No. 18 Honda this season, Beatriz had a poor beginning to the year that wasn’t of her doing (exhaust at St. Pete, engine at Barber) and then bowed out to a gearbox problem after just six laps in her home race at Sao Paulo. Things were better on the ovals with a steady effort at Indianapolis serving as her highlight. But the silence regarding her possibilities for 2014, full-time or part-time, is starting to speak loudly.
- VIDEO: Chinese GP Paddock Pass 0
- BREAKING NEWS: Swan Racing’s future in NASCAR in question 1
- Long Beach weekend atmosphere thrills Roger Daltrey, as he promotes Teen Cancer America 0
- Cooler heads prevail as IndyCar drivers test at Texas (VIDEO) 0
- Jeff Gordon has bad news for his rivals: He’s thinking of racing for 10 more years 2
More from NASCAR America
- IndyCar: Massive crash triggered after round of pit stops (VIDEO) (17)
- American-based F1 franchise, Haas Formula, officially introduced (9)
- Andretti drivers say GP of Long Beach should stay with IndyCar (7)
- Kurt Busch won’t soon forget Clint Bowyer’s race-ruining shove at Darlington (VIDEO) (6)
- Dale Earnhardt Jr. and Jimmie Johnson do it old school style in a pair of classic pickup trucks (VIDEOS) (5)