Dec 4, 2013, 1:30 PM EDT
Two days ago, Indianapolis 500 winner Tony Kanaan had some fun seeing his face on the Borg-Warner Trophy for the first time. But today, he and his new teammates at Chip Ganassi Racing are putting in work.
Kanaan (pictured), reigning IndyCar Series champion Scott Dixon, and American driver Charlie Kimball are testing at Sebring International Raceway this afternoon. For Kanaan, the session marks his first test with the team after leaving KV Racing Technology at the conclusion of the 2013 season.
“I’m excited, obviously,” Kanaan said this morning. “It’s a new challenge for me. I have a lot of things to learn today as far as the way [Chip Ganassi Racing] runs things here. I’m just enjoying it. It’s a really good day for me. I can’t complain.”
Along with Kanaan joining their own ranks, CGR is now part of the Chevrolet camp after running with Honda engines from 2006 to 2013. Dixon said the team was looking to compare between both power plants as part of their test work.
“Today is more comparison stuff – go over some of the late development things we had streaming through for the season, and obviously, the big compare between Chevy and Honda and see where we need to work and see what areas are good,” he said.
“There are a lot of new relationships, so it’s good to get an early test in before Christmas and start working on relationships that we hope prosper in the new year.”
Also keen on trying out the new Chevy engines and gaining a baseline for upcoming tests this winter was Kimball, who claimed his inaugural IndyCar win this past year at Mid-Ohio as part of a solid third season in the series.
“We have a lot of work for the day and it will give a direction of which way we need to head in the next few weeks before we really start preseason testing in January and February,” he said.
As for working with Kanaan, Kimball noted that the two have gotten along well early on.
“We’ve enjoyed getting to know each other,” Kimball said. “…When we get in the car, the relationship will develop more.”
Photo Credit: INDYCAR PR
- Long Beach weekend atmosphere thrills Roger Daltrey, as he promotes Teen Cancer America 0
- Cooler heads prevail as IndyCar drivers test at Texas (VIDEO) 0
- Jeff Gordon has bad news for his rivals: He’s thinking of racing for 10 more years 2
- NASCAR’s birthplace, the Streamline Hotel in Daytona Beach, to get significant makeover 0
- IndyCar remix: Toyota Grand Prix of Long Beach (VIDEO) 0
More from NASCAR America
- IndyCar: Massive crash triggered after round of pit stops (VIDEO) (17)
- American-based F1 franchise, Haas Formula, officially introduced (9)
- Andretti drivers say GP of Long Beach should stay with IndyCar (7)
- Kurt Busch won’t soon forget Clint Bowyer’s race-ruining shove at Darlington (VIDEO) (6)
- Dale Earnhardt Jr. and Jimmie Johnson do it old school style in a pair of classic pickup trucks (VIDEOS) (5)