Dec 5, 2013, 4:09 PM EDT
Dale Earnhardt Jr. broke a tie with Bill Elliott by earning his 11th consecutive NASCAR Sprint Cup Series Most Popular Driver award during today’s NASCAR NMPA Myers Brothers Awards Luncheon in Las Vegas.
Earnhardt, who finished fifth in the 2013 Sprint Cup Series championship, has won the award every year since the 2003 season. The award is voted on by fans, and the National Motorsports Press Association later disclosed that Earnhardt received more than 700,000 votes out of the 1,ooo,000+ votes cast at MostPopularDriver.com.
“It humbles me deeply to know that you have so many fans in your corner each race weekend,” he said upon receiving the award. “There are a lot of motivating factors in life that drive our race team to be the best we can.
“But none impact us more than the support of our race fans that they’ve shown over the years. We thank you for your devotion to NASCAR and we look forward to giving you a lot to be excited about in 2014.”
Earnhardt also used his brief time on the podium to hail his No. 88 Hendrick Motorsports Chevrolet pit crew, which earned Most Valuable Pit Crew of the Year honors earlier in the luncheon.
“That was really cool to see those guys get that [award],” said Earnhardt of his team, who according to NASCAR.com’s David Caraviello had an average stop time of 12.4 seconds despite having to use multiple rear tire changers over the year.
“They were awesome all season and I’m looking forward to next year.”
- Alonso fastest in first practice for Chinese GP 0
- Flashback to when a 67-second pit stop at the Indy 500 was fast vs. a modern-day F1 stop (video) 1
- VIDEO: Chinese GP Paddock Pass 0
- BREAKING NEWS: Swan Racing’s future in NASCAR in question 2
- Long Beach weekend atmosphere thrills Roger Daltrey, as he promotes Teen Cancer America 0
More from NASCAR America
- IndyCar: Massive crash triggered after round of pit stops (VIDEO) (17)
- American-based F1 franchise, Haas Formula, officially introduced (9)
- Andretti drivers say GP of Long Beach should stay with IndyCar (7)
- Kurt Busch won’t soon forget Clint Bowyer’s race-ruining shove at Darlington (VIDEO) (6)
- Dale Earnhardt Jr. and Jimmie Johnson do it old school style in a pair of classic pickup trucks (VIDEOS) (5)