Dec 6, 2013, 2:10 PM EDT
Formula One’s top developmental league, the GP2 Series, will embark on an 11-race schedule next season with new stops at Austria’s Red Bull Ring and Russia’s new street circuit at Sochi Olympic Park. All 11 events will be held as support races on Formula One Grand Prix weekends.
The season will unofficially begin in March with tests at the Yas Marina Circuit in Abu Dhabi (March 11-13, 2014) and the Bahrain International Circuit (March 19-21). The series will return to Bahrain to officially kick off its 2014 campaign on April 4-6, 2014.
“This is in order to keep down the costs, but also to test on F1 circuits where two events will take place, as well as enjoying great weather for testing,” GP2 CEO Bruno Michel explained in a statement. Michel also noted cost as a factor in keeping the schedule at 11 races, as it was this past year.
GP2 will make its first European stop at Barcelona’s Circuit de Catalunya (May 9-11, 2014) and then head to Monaco two weeks after. Austria comes next in June, followed by three races in July at Great Britain’s Silverstone, Germany’s Hockenheim, and Hungary’s Hungaroring.
The series will then end its year with one race per month for the next four months: Spa-Francorchamps in August, Monza in September, the aforementioned Sochi in October, and the season finale at Yas Marina in November.
Malaysia and Singapore, which hosted GP2 events in 2012 and 2013, will not be on the 2014 schedule.
2014 GP2 Series Schedule
March 11-13 – Yas Marina Circuit, Abu Dhabi, UAE
March 19-21 – Bahrain International Circuit, Sakhir, Bahrain
Apr. 4-6 – Bahrain International Circuit, Sakhir, Bahrain
May 9-11 – Circuit de Catalunya, Barcelona, Spain
May 22-24 – Circuit de Monaco, Monte Carlo, Monaco
June 20-22 – Red Bull Ring, Spielberg, Austria
July 4-6 – Silverstone Circuit, Silverstone, England
July 18-20 – Hockenheimring, Hockenheim, Germany
July 25-27 – Hungaroring, Budapest, Hungary
Aug. 22-24 – Circuit de Spa-Francorchamps, Spa, Belgium
Sept. 5-7 – Autodromo Nazionale Monza, Monza, Italy
Oct. 10-12 – Sochi International Street Circuit, Sochi, Russia
Nov. 21-23 – Yas Marina Circuit, Abu Dhabi, UAE
- It’s official: Redskins QB RG III to drive pace car at Richmond for Saturday’s Sprint Cup race 1
- Raikkonen: Yes, he’s still motivated, otherwise he wouldn’t be here 5
- Red Bull tweaks Mercedes over attempt to increase ‘Fuelgate’ punishment 3
- NASCAR still humming along after last fall’s Richmond scandal 9
- Mercedes’ domination: Equivalent or different from Red Bull’s? 2
More from NASCAR America
- VIDEO: Vettel ignores team orders, telling team “tough luck” (20)
- Alonso’s doing it again – another year outperforming teammate, equipment (12)
- NASCAR still humming along after last fall’s Richmond scandal (9)
- In re-released interview, Brad Keselowski recalls how Rick Hendrick left him heartbroken (8)
- Maldonado brushes off crash and spin in practice (7)