Dec 6, 2013, 2:10 PM EDT
Formula One’s top developmental league, the GP2 Series, will embark on an 11-race schedule next season with new stops at Austria’s Red Bull Ring and Russia’s new street circuit at Sochi Olympic Park. All 11 events will be held as support races on Formula One Grand Prix weekends.
The season will unofficially begin in March with tests at the Yas Marina Circuit in Abu Dhabi (March 11-13, 2014) and the Bahrain International Circuit (March 19-21). The series will return to Bahrain to officially kick off its 2014 campaign on April 4-6, 2014.
“This is in order to keep down the costs, but also to test on F1 circuits where two events will take place, as well as enjoying great weather for testing,” GP2 CEO Bruno Michel explained in a statement. Michel also noted cost as a factor in keeping the schedule at 11 races, as it was this past year.
GP2 will make its first European stop at Barcelona’s Circuit de Catalunya (May 9-11, 2014) and then head to Monaco two weeks after. Austria comes next in June, followed by three races in July at Great Britain’s Silverstone, Germany’s Hockenheim, and Hungary’s Hungaroring.
The series will then end its year with one race per month for the next four months: Spa-Francorchamps in August, Monza in September, the aforementioned Sochi in October, and the season finale at Yas Marina in November.
Malaysia and Singapore, which hosted GP2 events in 2012 and 2013, will not be on the 2014 schedule.
2014 GP2 Series Schedule
March 11-13 – Yas Marina Circuit, Abu Dhabi, UAE
March 19-21 – Bahrain International Circuit, Sakhir, Bahrain
Apr. 4-6 – Bahrain International Circuit, Sakhir, Bahrain
May 9-11 – Circuit de Catalunya, Barcelona, Spain
May 22-24 – Circuit de Monaco, Monte Carlo, Monaco
June 20-22 – Red Bull Ring, Spielberg, Austria
July 4-6 – Silverstone Circuit, Silverstone, England
July 18-20 – Hockenheimring, Hockenheim, Germany
July 25-27 – Hungaroring, Budapest, Hungary
Aug. 22-24 – Circuit de Spa-Francorchamps, Spa, Belgium
Sept. 5-7 – Autodromo Nazionale Monza, Monza, Italy
Oct. 10-12 – Sochi International Street Circuit, Sochi, Russia
Nov. 21-23 – Yas Marina Circuit, Abu Dhabi, UAE
- Flashback to when a 67-second pit stop at the Indy 500 was fast vs. a modern-day F1 stop (video) 0
- VIDEO: Chinese GP Paddock Pass 0
- BREAKING NEWS: Swan Racing’s future in NASCAR in question 2
- Long Beach weekend atmosphere thrills Roger Daltrey, as he promotes Teen Cancer America 0
- Cooler heads prevail as IndyCar drivers test at Texas (VIDEO) 0
More from NASCAR America
- IndyCar: Massive crash triggered after round of pit stops (VIDEO) (17)
- American-based F1 franchise, Haas Formula, officially introduced (9)
- Andretti drivers say GP of Long Beach should stay with IndyCar (7)
- Kurt Busch won’t soon forget Clint Bowyer’s race-ruining shove at Darlington (VIDEO) (6)
- Dale Earnhardt Jr. and Jimmie Johnson do it old school style in a pair of classic pickup trucks (VIDEOS) (5)