Dec 6, 2013, 7:01 PM EDT
UPDATED (7:00 p.m. ET): According to Autoweek, Penske Racing president Tim Cindric has said that team involvement in Australia’s V8 Supercars series “may be a stretch” and instead noted that it could be sponsor-based.
Roger Penske’s Penske Automotive Group recently made inroads into Australia with the September purchase of the Western Star trucking company. And per Cindric, that may be the way Penske breaks into Supercars instead.
“We may look to tie Western Star to the series in some way,” Cindric said following a meeting with Supercars officials at the season-ending Sydney 500.
A report this morning from Australia’s Daily Telegraph newspaper said that the team could be on the verge of joining the popular touring car series.
“I have been to the Gold Coast many times but never took an interest, because we were racing IndyCars,” Cindric told the Telegraph. “I have to understand where this business is at from a sponsorship perspective and this could lead to something else down the road.
“It is a series I love, always have. In [Australia], it is as big as the NFL in America. We want to understand it and than work out how to get involved.”
Phelps’ report also detailed how a move into Supercars would tie into a bigger plan for Penske in Australia, one that includes the aforementioned Western Star.
The Supercars visited America this year with an early-season trip to Austin, Texas’ Circuit of the Americas, but will not return in 2014 thanks to COTA’s scheduling conflict with the X Games. Signs point to a return to the schedule in 2015.
- Double points reverse Montoya’s IndyCar championship hopes (VIDEO) 5
- Scott Dixon captures Sonoma race win and 2015 IndyCar championship (VIDEO) 9
- Robin Miller pays tribute to Justin Wilson (VIDEO) 1
- WATCH LIVE: IndyCar’s championship decided in Sonoma at 1 p.m. PT, 4 ET on NBCSN 1
- What to watch for: IndyCar at Sonoma (4 p.m. ET, NBCSN and Live Extra) 0
- Porsche’s no. 17 car surges to maiden WEC victory in 6 Hours of Nürburgring 2
- Audi boss Ullrich laughs off continual F1 rumors 2