Dec 6, 2013, 11:45 AM EST
After talking about the big stories and ranking our Top 10 drivers from the 2013 NASCAR Sprint Cup Series season, my colleague Tony DiZinno and I are now going to start taking a look back on how each of the 13 Chase for the Sprint Cup contenders fared this past year.
Placing sixth in the championship this past season was Jeff Gordon…
No. 24 Hendrick Motorsports Chevrolet
2013 Stats: Sixth Place, One Win, 8 Top-5s, 17 Top-10s, 434 Laps Led
Average Start: 12.9
Average Finish: 14.4
Estrada Says: Give Gordon and his Hendrick Motorsports team credit for putting themselves into the title picture after their addition to the Chase following all the Richmond problems. He avoided bad results before breaking through for a critical win at Martinsville. But then came Texas, where he blew a tire and slammed into the wall before finishing 33rd. It was a tough ending to his bid for a fifth Sprint Cup, but let’s not forget that his regular season wasn’t all that great (only five Top-5s in the first 26 races). Consistency is what the No. 24 camp will be searching for next year.
DiZinno Says: Taken on the whole, Gordon’s year wasn’t even as solid’s as teammate Dale Earnhardt Jr.‘s. But where Gordon thrived is when adversity was staring him in the face, and he had to get himself into Chase contention once again in the last month before Richmond and the sequence of events that followed there. Gordon’s closer to the end of his career than the start and if he wants to win that elusive fifth title, the combo of luck and consistency needs to be there more in the regular season. It was a great Chase, but a less-than-perfect opening 26 races. More peaks and fewer valleys are needed for the iconic No. 24 team in 2014.
Video from NASCAR America
- Sprint Cup champ Kevin Harvick: “I’m as comfortable as I’ve ever been” 0
- Danica Patrick enters final year of contract but wants to stay at Stewart-Haas 7
- Start times for 2015 NASCAR Sprint Cup Series races 6
- Bowyer on Gordon: “You’re never good with somebody when it got that ugly” 21
- NASCAR considers unveiling 2016 rules at Sprint All-Star Race in May 2
- Kyle Busch says Toyota teams are “idiots” by not working close together 19
- Brian France: State of NASCAR is in a good place and getting better 5