Dec 6, 2013, 11:45 AM EDT
After talking about the big stories and ranking our Top 10 drivers from the 2013 NASCAR Sprint Cup Series season, my colleague Tony DiZinno and I are now going to start taking a look back on how each of the 13 Chase for the Sprint Cup contenders fared this past year.
Placing sixth in the championship this past season was Jeff Gordon…
No. 24 Hendrick Motorsports Chevrolet
2013 Stats: Sixth Place, One Win, 8 Top-5s, 17 Top-10s, 434 Laps Led
Average Start: 12.9
Average Finish: 14.4
Estrada Says: Give Gordon and his Hendrick Motorsports team credit for putting themselves into the title picture after their addition to the Chase following all the Richmond problems. He avoided bad results before breaking through for a critical win at Martinsville. But then came Texas, where he blew a tire and slammed into the wall before finishing 33rd. It was a tough ending to his bid for a fifth Sprint Cup, but let’s not forget that his regular season wasn’t all that great (only five Top-5s in the first 26 races). Consistency is what the No. 24 camp will be searching for next year.
DiZinno Says: Taken on the whole, Gordon’s year wasn’t even as solid’s as teammate Dale Earnhardt Jr.‘s. But where Gordon thrived is when adversity was staring him in the face, and he had to get himself into Chase contention once again in the last month before Richmond and the sequence of events that followed there. Gordon’s closer to the end of his career than the start and if he wants to win that elusive fifth title, the combo of luck and consistency needs to be there more in the regular season. It was a great Chase, but a less-than-perfect opening 26 races. More peaks and fewer valleys are needed for the iconic No. 24 team in 2014.
- Here are your NBCSN TV times, weekend coverage plan for IndyCar’s Sonoma season finale 0
- Preview: IndyCar will race to honor Wilson, and to close its season, at Sonoma 1
- Andretti to field No. 25 car at Sonoma; Oriol Servia to drive Wilson tribute car 4
- IndyCars cross the Golden Gate Bridge; pay tribute to Justin Wilson (PHOTOS, VIDEO) 5
- Fast Facts: GoPro Grand Prix of Sonoma 6
- NHRA: Pro Stock driver Erica Enders hitting on all cylinders heading into U.S. Nationals 3
- IndyCar flashback: Justin Wilson finishes second, Will Power/Scott Dixon controversy at Sonoma 2013 (video) 3