Dec 6, 2013, 5:35 PM EDT
Reigning Sprint Cup champion Jimmie Johnson added some more trophies to his mantle during yesterday’s NASCAR NMPA Myers Brothers Awards Luncheon. But he’s not the only driver that was honored during the event.
Among the major awards given out yesterday was the NMPA Myers Brothers Award, which went to three-time Cup champion Tony Stewart.
“Smoke” was cited for his overall body of work but specifically for his role in bringing the Camping World Truck Series to Eldora Speedway this past year, which marked the first NASCAR national series race on dirt in more than four decades.
“I’d always joked around that having a dirt race on the schedule would be really great,” said Stewart, who owns the famous short track in Rossburg, Ohio.
The Myers Brothers Award has a rich history and is given to those that have made a significant contribution to stock car racing. Many members of the NASCAR Hall of Fame have also received the Myers award, and its list of winners span from drivers and team owners like Stewart to sponsors and members of the media.
Here’s the full list of Thursday’s award winners:
NMPA Myers Brothers Award: Tony Stewart
NMPA NASCAR Most Popular Driver Award: Dale Earnhardt Jr.
Buddy Shuman Award: Chevrolet Division of General Motors, Ford Motor Company and Toyota
NASCAR Marketing Achievement Award: Coca-Cola
3M Lap Leader Award: Matt Kenseth
American Ethanol Green Flag Restart Award: Kyle Busch
Coors Light Pole Award: Denny Hamlin
Duralast Brakes “Brake in the Race” Award: Jimmie Johnson
Freescale “Wide Open” Award: Matt Kenseth
Goodyear Tires Award (Champion): Jimmie Johnson
MAHLE Clevite Engine Builder of the Year Award: Scott Fox, Hendrick Motorsports No. 48 team
Mechanix Wear Most Valuable Pit Crew Award: Hendrick Motorsports No. 88 team
Mobil 1 Driver of the Year Award: Matt Kenseth
Moog Steering & Suspension Problem Solver of the Year Award: Matt Borland, crew chief No. 39 Stewart-Haas Racing team
Sherwin-Williams Fastest Lap Award: Carl Edwards
Sunoco Diamond Performance Award (Champion): Jimmie Johnson
Sunoco Rookie of the Year Award: Ricky Stenhouse Jr.
Champion Sponsor Award: Lowe’s
Champion Crew Chief: Chad Knaus
- Cooler heads prevail as IndyCar drivers test at Texas (VIDEO) 0
- Jeff Gordon has bad news for his rivals: He’s thinking of racing for 10 more years 2
- NASCAR’s birthplace, the Streamline Hotel in Daytona Beach, to get significant makeover 0
- IndyCar remix: Toyota Grand Prix of Long Beach (VIDEO) 0
- Ten with Townsend: Long Beach Debrief 2
More from NASCAR America
- IndyCar: Massive crash triggered after round of pit stops (VIDEO) (17)
- American-based F1 franchise, Haas Formula, officially introduced (9)
- Andretti drivers say GP of Long Beach should stay with IndyCar (7)
- Kurt Busch won’t soon forget Clint Bowyer’s race-ruining shove at Darlington (VIDEO) (6)
- Dale Earnhardt Jr. and Jimmie Johnson do it old school style in a pair of classic pickup trucks (VIDEOS) (5)