Dec 7, 2013, 5:00 PM EDT
After a successful first season racing in the Porsche Carrera Cup Deutschland in Germany, Connor de Phillippi has been retained by the German manufacturer for a second season as a Porsche Junior driver.
De Phillippi spent three seasons in Star Mazda here in the U.S., but when options failed to materialize for an advancement to Indy Lights (despite his prodigious talent) for 2013, he explored the sports car route.
In his first season, de Phillippi finished ninth in the championship in a field of more than 25 drivers, and was top rookie. He posted 10 top-10 finishes in 17 races, with a best finish of fourth place in the first race at Zandvoort.
“I now know how important it is to achieve a good qualifying result if you want to do well in a Carrera Cup sprint race,” he said in a Porsche release. “Winning the rookie classification was a good start. But next year I’ll be aiming for the podium. I’m up against some tough opposition, but my dream is to climb to the very top step.”
Three others besides the 20-year-old de Phillippi in the Porsche Junior program include Klaus Bachler (22, Austria), Alex Riberas (19, Spain) and Sven Mueller (21, Germany). De Phillippi and Riberas will receive funding of 150,000 Euro – approximately $205,000 – to support another year in Germany’s one-make series.
In the past, several of Porsche Junior drivers have been provided opportunities in the Rolex 24 at Daytona, the opening round of the GRAND-AM (now TUDOR Championship) season. With the entry list revealed yesterday, it wouldn’t be a surprise to see any of the four Juniors spread among the 12 Porsche GT Americas entered for the race in January.
- Practice setbacks leave Hamilton “quite a bit off” in Malaysia (VIDEO) 2
- Verizon IndyCar Series 2015 preseason content roundup 0
- Hamilton hits back by topping second practice in Malaysia 0
- Rosberg quickest in Malaysia FP1 as Hamilton hits trouble 2
- Now IndyCar’s champion, Will Power’s mindset hasn’t changed heading into 2015 0
- Alonso moves to clear up testing crash conspiracy theories 2
- NHRA Funny Car driver Cruz Pedregon trades seats for a day with NASCAR counterpart Joey Logano 2