Dec 7, 2013, 1:00 PM EDT
Jay Mohr opened last night’s NASCAR Sprint Cup Series 2013 Awards Ceremony with a monologue that pulled no punches, yet left the room in Las Vegas in stitches.
No one was spared, as the at times controversial 2013 season was captured in comedic genius for the better part of 14 minutes.
To open, Mohr recounted the last time he was asked to host the banquet, in 2006.
Moments from there included several references to the Richmond regular season finale and ensuing chaos that came of it.
“How’s that poison oak treating you?” Mohr asked Clint Bowyer, whose spin to cause the final caution flag of the race was the catalyst that sent things in motion. As a follow-up, Mohr said Bowyer will be great in marriage (he recently got engaged) because, “You’re already really good at apologizing for things you may or may not have done.”
“Jeff Gordon has just been added to the BCS Championship Game. I guess it will be you versus Florida State,” Mohr said, in a “breaking news” style interruption.
Further such interruptions: Gordon was “just added to the Best Picture category at the Oscars,” and later, “A 13th month has been added to the calendar. Jeff Gordon-ary. It’s right after December.”
The only particularly icy moment when Mohr noticed Danica Patrick, and offered a joke based largely on her performance this year.
“I hope you’re not too uncomfortable… I know you’re not used to being this close to the front,” he said.
Praise for Johnson, and the things he could get away with (wearing a championship ring hat at Homestead), was also offered. There were the usual Mark Martin’s old, and Joey Logano’s young jokes.
But it’s 14 minutes worth of video worth watching, because Mohr pretty much said everything you would hope for in a skewering, comedic monologue. It was a treat to watch.
- Cooler heads prevail as IndyCar drivers test at Texas (VIDEO) 0
- Jeff Gordon has bad news for his rivals: He’s thinking of racing for 10 more years 2
- NASCAR’s birthplace, the Streamline Hotel in Daytona Beach, to get significant makeover 0
- IndyCar remix: Toyota Grand Prix of Long Beach (VIDEO) 0
- Ten with Townsend: Long Beach Debrief 2
More from NASCAR America
- IndyCar: Massive crash triggered after round of pit stops (VIDEO) (17)
- American-based F1 franchise, Haas Formula, officially introduced (9)
- Andretti drivers say GP of Long Beach should stay with IndyCar (7)
- Kurt Busch won’t soon forget Clint Bowyer’s race-ruining shove at Darlington (VIDEO) (6)
- Dale Earnhardt Jr. and Jimmie Johnson do it old school style in a pair of classic pickup trucks (VIDEOS) (5)