Dec 9, 2013, 12:30 PM EDT
After talking about the big stories and ranking our Top 10 drivers from the 2013 NASCAR Sprint Cup Series season, my colleague Tony DiZinno and I are taking a look back on how each of the 13 Chase for the Sprint Cup contenders fared this past year.
Running ninth on the final standings table this year was Greg Biffle…
No. 16 Roush Fenway Racing Ford
2013 Stats: Ninth Place, One Win, 4 Top-5s, 13 Top-10s, 124 Laps Led
Average Start: 16.1
Average Finish: 14.4
Estrada Says: Biffle’s good start to the season (four Top-10s in the first seven races) was halted by three finishes outside the Top-30 in a four-race stretch between Richmond and the Coca-Cola 600 at Charlotte. When that was over, Biffle had tumbled from fourth to 13th in the championship. But he quickly got back in the Top-10 and then bolstered his run to the Chase with a win at Michigan in June that also served as car manufacturer Ford’s 1000th win in NASCAR. Once in the post-season, Biffle kept in the fight early with Top-10s at New Hampshire and Dover but was unable to continue the pace; he logged just one more Top-10 in the last seven events.
DiZinno Says: If it’s possibly to be merely “anonymously good,” that’s how I’d describe Biffle’s 2013 in total. He and the Roush Fenway Racing team were rarely bad enough to run outside the top 15, but they were rarely good enough to be a world beater. The Fords, in general, just weren’t on the same level it seemed as the Chevrolets and Toyotas in terms of outright pace, and Biffle was a perfect example of that. After three poles in both 2011 and 2012, he didn’t qualify fastest a single time this year. Additionally, I can’t help but wonder if the loss of Matt Kenseth to RFR had an impact on him. Biffle and Kenseth had worked together in the Roush family for more than a decade, and without that available setup and teammate to bounce ideas off of, I think there was a step back in performance.
- VIDEO: Vettel explains decision to not let Ricciardo past 4
- Chinese GP called two laps early after checkered flag mix-up 4
- VIDEO: Vettel ignores team orders, telling team “tough luck” 18
- Hamilton makes it three with lights to flag victory in China 1
- WATCH LIVE: Can anyone spring a Shanghai surprise? 0
- VIDEO: Vettel ignores team orders, telling team “tough luck” (19)
- American-based F1 franchise, Haas Formula, officially introduced (9)
- In re-released interview, Brad Keselowski recalls how Rick Hendrick left him heartbroken (8)
- Maldonado brushes off crash and spin in practice (7)
- Former FIA prez Max Mosley rubbishes F1′s ongoing noise saga (6)