Dec 10, 2013, 1:15 PM EST
After a successful 2013 in both IndyCars and sports cars, British driver Mike Conway is looking forward to getting 2014 underway in earnest with a test session next week at Sebring (Fla.) International Raceway for Ed Carpenter Racing.
Conway, who won Detroit Race 1 for Dale Coyne Racing and also claimed four race wins with his co-drivers over in the FIA World Endurance Championship, recently had a seat fitting in the No. 20 ECR Chevrolet (pictured) in advance of the Dec. 18-19 test in Florida.
The soft-spoken street course dynamo will drive the No. 20 in all road and street events in the 2014 IndyCar Series, while team namesake and owner Carpenter will drive it on the ovals.
“It feels good to run the IndyCar before the holidays,” Conway said. “I’ve never been able to test an IndyCar before the first of the year, so this opportunity next week at Sebring really has me excited.
“It will be my first chance to drive the Chevrolet engine also. I’m looking forward to that aspect of the test too.”
Conway will continue his work in sports cars next season as well, recently landing a gig with Toyota’s WEC program as its test and reserve driver.
All in all, it’ll be a busy 2014 for the Kent, England native as he looks to not only help Toyota overtake Audi in the WEC but also help Ed Carpenter Racing move toward the front of the IndyCar pecking order.
“I can’t wait to get started with the ECR guys,” Conway said of his IndyCar duties. “I’m very excited to run with a team like Ed’s. I have worked with many of the crew guys here before and they have a very strong organization.
“This team should be a solid effort in 2014.”
Video from NASCAR America
- Brazilian promoter announces Brasilia IndyCar race is canceled 0
- Rick Hendrick: No pressure on Jeff Gordon in final season, he just has to win 14 races and championship 0
- Column: Chase Elliott’s promotion perfectly timed for NASCAR 7
- Chase Elliott will replace Jeff Gordon as No. 24 driver next season 4
- Truex’s girlfriend passes milestone in cancer recovery 0
- McLaren reveals Honda-powered MP4-30 for 2015 F1 season 1
- LeBron James’ agent involved in Darrell Wallace Jr.’s hunt for sponsorship 1