Dec 10, 2013, 2:35 PM EDT
In an interview with SiriusXM NASCAR Radio, former Sprint Cup team owner James Finch (pictured, left, from 2009) announced his intentions to field a car for the 2014 Daytona 500.
Finch sold Phoenix Racing in August to Harry Scott, Jr., a co-owner of NASCAR Nationwide and Camping World Truck Series outfit Turner Scott Motorsports. But in talking with hosts Brad Gillie and Buddy Baker, Finch revealed that he’s entered a partnership with his old team in order to compete in The Great American Race.
“I don’t know if there’s any seller’s remorse, but I got to thinking, ‘You know, Daytona 500’s coming up, I’ve got to go down there one more time,'” Finch said. “So, I made a deal with Harry and I’m gonna get a car out and I’m gonna go to the Daytona 500.”
Finch wouldn’t say who would be driving his car at Daytona but mentioned that the driver would be “guaranteed” to be in the race – which could mean that a past Sprint Cup champion will be in the car.
Whoever lands that ride could have a decent shot come February. Finch has had his share of success on restrictor plate tracks in recent years, including a 2009 victory at Talladega with driver and future Cup champion Brad Keselowski.
In the 2013 Daytona 500, Regan Smith took Phoenix’s No. 51 car (still owned by Finch at the time) to a seventh-place finish. It marked the fourth Top-10 finish at the Daytona 500 for a Finch-owned car.
Finch also has two Nationwide Series wins at Daytona from 1999 (Randy Lajoie, 300 miles) and 2012 (Kurt Busch, 250 miles).
Video from NASCAR America
- NASCAR AMERICA: Matt Kenseth confident as Loudon looms (VIDEO) 0
- Singapore GP, Red Bull GRC highlight weekend’s NBC motorsports coverage 0
- NASCAR: Richard Petty Motorsports committed to two-car program in 2015 5
- NASCAR: STANLEY, DEWALT join JGR in 2015 4
- NASCAR AMERICA: One Sprint Cup title not enough for Keselowski (VIDEO) 0
- IndyCar’s Mikhail Aleshin released from Indianapolis hospital 0
- DA will submit evidence from Tony Stewart/Kevin Ward Jr. case to grand jury 25