Dec 10, 2013, 1:30 PM EDT
After talking about the big stories and ranking our Top 10 drivers from the 2013 NASCAR Sprint Cup Series season, my colleague Tony DiZinno and I are taking a look back on how each of the 13 Chase for the Sprint Cup contenders fared this past year.
Rounding out the 2013 Chasers in 13th place was Carl Edwards…
No. 99 Roush Fenway Racing Ford
2013 Stats: 13th Place, Two Wins, 9 Top-5s, 16 Top-10s, 524 Laps Led
Average Start: 11.9
Average Finish: 13.6
Estrada Says: Edwards snapped a long drought with a victory at Phoenix in March and was able to keep toward the top of the Sprint Cup standings through the summer – following his Phoenix win, he didn’t finish outside the Top 20 until Kentucky in late June (21st). He then made another appearance in Victory Lane at the regular season finale at Richmond, and it appeared Edwards was going to have a say in the championship outcome. But then came Chase Race No. 3 at Dover, which ended in disaster for him in the form of a broken wheel hub. More problems came later at Texas, where he won the pole but lost his engine in the race, and at the return race in Phoenix, where he ran out of gas with two laps to go while leading. Unfortunately for Edwards, good luck was in short supply when he needed it the most.
DiZinno Says: Like Roush Fenway Racing teammate Greg Biffle, I think Edwards would probably admit the departure of teammate Matt Kenseth to Joe Gibbs Racing made a greater impact on the team as a whole than we thought in advance. Like Biffle, Edwards had his highlights with a pair of wins, but at no point did he and the No. 99 team recapture the consistent form that carried him to second in the 2011 championship. A good but certainly not great year that was short on luck.
- Here are your NBCSN TV times, weekend coverage plan for IndyCar’s Sonoma season finale 0
- Preview: IndyCar will race to honor Wilson, and to close its season, at Sonoma 1
- Andretti to field No. 25 car at Sonoma; Oriol Servia to drive Wilson tribute car 4
- IndyCars cross the Golden Gate Bridge; pay tribute to Justin Wilson (PHOTOS, VIDEO) 5
- Fast Facts: GoPro Grand Prix of Sonoma 6
- NHRA: Pro Stock driver Erica Enders hitting on all cylinders heading into U.S. Nationals 3
- IndyCar flashback: Justin Wilson finishes second, Will Power/Scott Dixon controversy at Sonoma 2013 (video) 3