Dec 11, 2013, 10:15 AM EST
There really doesn’t appear to be much middle ground on Lotus F1’s Twitter account and the rest of its social media strategy. You either love it or hate it; personally, I choose the former but it does have its detractors.
Still, after seeing the brilliance the team has come up with in response to F1’s newest regulations, announced earlier this week, it’s hard to find fault in this satirical take the team presented on Wednesday.
There are rules such as:
- “Any driver replying with “for sure” to a press-conference option will be slapped. Every time.”
- “All driver managers will be compelled to spend at least one Grand Prix telling the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth.”
- “Championship points deciders will be determined by Rock, Paper, Scissors or Cage Fight.”
It’s an ability to poke fun at F1 and offer insights that will never actually be adopted, but it does give F1 a needed jolt of personality compared to the blasé corporate speak that so often dominates the proceedings.
And Lotus wasn’t afraid to poke fun at itself, either, when it wrote this rule: “Any team caught using ‘amusing’ hashtags post 2013 may be questioned for illegal fun and will receive a heavy fine.”
It’s very refreshing to see this kind of material in modern F1, and lord knows Lotus will likely need to be on its “poking-fun-at-itself A-game” considering the PR backlash it got for signing Pastor Maldonado. But if Maldonado outperforms expectations, Lotus may have the last laugh.
Here’s the list of suggestions in their entirety:
— Lotus F1 Team (@Lotus_F1Team) December 11, 2013
Video from NASCAR America
- WATCH: Race of Champions at 7 p.m. ET kicks off motors evening on NBCSN 0
- IndyCar champ Will Power’s hidden talent — breakdancing 0
- NASCAR: Bubba Wallace confirmed for Roush Fenway XFINITY program 1
- Top NASCAR stories of 2014: No. 13 – Chase Elliott wins final Nationwide Series championship at record age 0
- CVC adds di Montezemolo, Walsh to Board of Directors for F1; Bernie stays on 0
- Kurt Busch calls ex-girlfriend’s allegations a ‘fabrication’ 14
- Fry, Tombazis out as part of Ferrari’s ongoing restructuring 1