Dec 11, 2013, 10:15 AM EDT
There really doesn’t appear to be much middle ground on Lotus F1’s Twitter account and the rest of its social media strategy. You either love it or hate it; personally, I choose the former but it does have its detractors.
Still, after seeing the brilliance the team has come up with in response to F1’s newest regulations, announced earlier this week, it’s hard to find fault in this satirical take the team presented on Wednesday.
There are rules such as:
- “Any driver replying with “for sure” to a press-conference option will be slapped. Every time.”
- “All driver managers will be compelled to spend at least one Grand Prix telling the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth.”
- “Championship points deciders will be determined by Rock, Paper, Scissors or Cage Fight.”
It’s an ability to poke fun at F1 and offer insights that will never actually be adopted, but it does give F1 a needed jolt of personality compared to the blasé corporate speak that so often dominates the proceedings.
And Lotus wasn’t afraid to poke fun at itself, either, when it wrote this rule: “Any team caught using ‘amusing’ hashtags post 2013 may be questioned for illegal fun and will receive a heavy fine.”
It’s very refreshing to see this kind of material in modern F1, and lord knows Lotus will likely need to be on its “poking-fun-at-itself A-game” considering the PR backlash it got for signing Pastor Maldonado. But if Maldonado outperforms expectations, Lotus may have the last laugh.
Here’s the list of suggestions in their entirety:
— Lotus F1 Team (@Lotus_F1Team) December 11, 2013
- Roger Penske intends to keep his ‘four aces’ in IndyCar 0
- NHRA: Antron Brown looks to make Top Fuel fireworks this weekend 0
- Pippa Mann revels in career-best IndyCar finish at Fontana 2
- After tough recent outings, Jack Hawksworth relishes 10th-place showing at Fontana 1
- MAVTV 500: Despite being nerve-racking to crazy, drivers glad safety won out 1
- WATCH: IndyCar’s frantic, thrilling MAVTV 500 to re-air at midnight ET on NBCSN 6
- Nelson Piquet Jr crowned first ever FIA Formula E champion in thrilling London finale 1