Dec 12, 2013, 2:15 PM EDT
In an updated edition of its 2014 sporting regulations, the FIA confirmed that drivers will now compete for a pole position trophy throughout the Formula One World Championship.
Regarding the new award, the regulations state the following:
“A trophy will be awarded to the driver who sets the most pole positions during the championship season (see Article 36.2). In the event of a tie the holder of the greatest number of second places will be taken into account and, if there is still the tie, the holder of the greatest number of third places and so on until a winner emerges.
“If this procedure fails to produce a result, the FIA will nominate the winner according to such criteria as it thinks fit.”
Also, the new permanent numbers that will be chosen by each driver must now be visible on their helmets as well. The new numbers will be allocated to drivers by ballot, and as mentioned earlier, the World Champion will retain the right to use No. 1.
Should said World Champion fail to keep his title, the FIA says that “the number that was previously allocated to him will be reserved for him in subsequent seasons.”
The regulations also featured details of the points system for 2014, which will have double points awarded at the season finale for both the drivers’ and constructors’ championships:
- 1st: 25 points
- 2nd: 18 points
- 3rd: 15 points
- 4th: 12 points
- 5th: 10 points
- 6th: 8 points
- 7th: 6 points
- 8th: 4 points
- 9th: 2 points
- 10th: 1 point
Additionally, a penalty points system for drivers was included in the regulations. Should drivers gain 12 penalty points in the span of a year for mistakes made on track, they will be banned for one race.
- Cooler heads prevail as IndyCar drivers test at Texas (VIDEO) 0
- Jeff Gordon has bad news for his rivals: He’s thinking of racing for 10 more years 2
- NASCAR’s birthplace, the Streamline Hotel in Daytona Beach, to get significant makeover 0
- IndyCar remix: Toyota Grand Prix of Long Beach (VIDEO) 0
- Ten with Townsend: Long Beach Debrief 2
More from NASCAR America
- IndyCar: Massive crash triggered after round of pit stops (VIDEO) (17)
- American-based F1 franchise, Haas Formula, officially introduced (9)
- Andretti drivers say GP of Long Beach should stay with IndyCar (7)
- Kurt Busch won’t soon forget Clint Bowyer’s race-ruining shove at Darlington (VIDEO) (6)
- Dale Earnhardt Jr. and Jimmie Johnson do it old school style in a pair of classic pickup trucks (VIDEOS) (5)