Dec 12, 2013, 8:05 PM EDT
We can rule out Alex Tagliani as a potential newcomer to Chip Ganassi Racing for the 2014 IndyCar Series.
The French-Canadian driver, who replaced Dario Franchitti in this year’s season finale and tested Ganassi’s No. 10 Chevrolet recently in Florida, has confirmed that he would not be joining the powerhouse outfit.
However, Tagliani felt that his brief time with Ganassi can prove beneficial down the road in regards to landing a ride.
“I’m very grateful for the opportunity,” he said according to Autoweek. “When you’re with another team, the Ganassi boys thought they could see what I could do, but spending time with them they got to see for sure what I can do.
“That will help me from now on because they will tell other people what they saw of me.”
With Tagliani out of the picture, it would now appear that Ryan Briscoe is the odds-on favorite to join reigning series champion Scott Dixon, Indy 500 winner Tony Kanaan and Charlie Kimball in the Ganassi camp.
Briscoe was slated to go full-time at Panther Racing next year, but with the team’s sponsorship situation yet to be determined, the Australian has been looking elsewhere. Now, barring a major curveball thrown, it appears that he’ll be suiting up for the team that gave him his start in the IndyCars back in 2005.
If that proves to be the case, Curt Cavin of The Indianapolis Star reports he will take over the No. 8 NTT Data entry that he drove in this year’s Indianapolis 500 and Kanaan will move over to the No. 10 to replace the retired Franchitti.
But all should be officially confirmed Friday morning at TCGR’s press conference in Indianapolis.
- WATCH LIVE: Toyota Grand Prix of Long Beach at 4 p.m. ET on NBCSN, Live Extra 0
- What to watch for: IndyCar at Long Beach (4 p.m. ET, NBCSN and Live Extra) 0
- Hamilton pleased to fend off Ferrari in Bahrain despite last lap brake scare 1
- Hamilton puts on a show under the lights to win Bahrain GP 3
- Off The Grid: Melbourne premieres 1:30pm ET on NBCSN (VIDEO) 0
- Castroneves secures pole in IndyCar qualifying at Long Beach 1
- Hamilton eases to fourth straight pole position in Bahrain 0