Dec 14, 2013, 4:27 PM EDT
NASCAR’s three main national series have had their post-season awards ceremonies. But this weekend in Charlotte, the champions from its smaller divisions are in the spotlight.
Last night, Lee Pulliam (Semora, N.C.) was honored for his second consecutive Whelen All-American Series title. He now joins Larry Phillips (five titles) and Philip Morris (four) as just the third driver in the history of the series to win it on multiple occasions.
Pulliam won 27 times in 47 starts while leading the national championship throughout the season.
“Never in my wildest dreams did I believe I would have the honor of receiving [this] coveted trophy, much less a second one,” Pulliam said according to NASCARHomeTracks.com. “Being mentioned in the same sentence with Larry and Philip sends chills down my spine.”
Tonight, NASCAR will stage a “Night of Champions” ceremony involving honorees from its various touring series such as the East and West divisions of the K&N Pro Series, Whelen Modified Tour, Whelen Southern Modified Tour, Canadian Tire Series, Toyota (Mexico) Series, and Whelen Euro Series.
Among the champions to be feted tonight are:
- K&N East: Dylan Kwasniewski
- K&N West: Derek Thorn
- Whelen Modified Tour: Ryan Preece
- Whelen Southern Modified Tour: George Brunnhoelzl, III
- Whelen Euro Series: Ander Vilarino
- Canadian Tire Series: Scott Steckly
- Toyota (Mexico) Series: Rodrigo Peralta
NASCARHomeTracks.com will stream coverage beginning today at 5 p.m. ET, with the actual ceremony at 6 p.m. ET.
- Hunter-Reay leads as times plunge in second practice at Sonoma 0
- IndyCar’s championship contenders ready their thoughts, minds for Sonoma finale 1
- Here are your NBCSN TV times, weekend coverage plan for IndyCar’s Sonoma season finale 0
- Preview: IndyCar will race to honor Wilson, and to close its season, at Sonoma 1
- Andretti to field No. 25 car at Sonoma; Oriol Servia to drive Wilson tribute car 4
- IndyCars cross the Golden Gate Bridge; pay tribute to Justin Wilson (PHOTOS, VIDEO) 5
- Fast Facts: GoPro Grand Prix of Sonoma 6