Dec 14, 2013, 4:27 PM EDT
NASCAR’s three main national series have had their post-season awards ceremonies. But this weekend in Charlotte, the champions from its smaller divisions are in the spotlight.
Last night, Lee Pulliam (Semora, N.C.) was honored for his second consecutive Whelen All-American Series title. He now joins Larry Phillips (five titles) and Philip Morris (four) as just the third driver in the history of the series to win it on multiple occasions.
Pulliam won 27 times in 47 starts while leading the national championship throughout the season.
“Never in my wildest dreams did I believe I would have the honor of receiving [this] coveted trophy, much less a second one,” Pulliam said according to NASCARHomeTracks.com. “Being mentioned in the same sentence with Larry and Philip sends chills down my spine.”
Tonight, NASCAR will stage a “Night of Champions” ceremony involving honorees from its various touring series such as the East and West divisions of the K&N Pro Series, Whelen Modified Tour, Whelen Southern Modified Tour, Canadian Tire Series, Toyota (Mexico) Series, and Whelen Euro Series.
Among the champions to be feted tonight are:
- K&N East: Dylan Kwasniewski
- K&N West: Derek Thorn
- Whelen Modified Tour: Ryan Preece
- Whelen Southern Modified Tour: George Brunnhoelzl, III
- Whelen Euro Series: Ander Vilarino
- Canadian Tire Series: Scott Steckly
- Toyota (Mexico) Series: Rodrigo Peralta
NASCARHomeTracks.com will stream coverage beginning today at 5 p.m. ET, with the actual ceremony at 6 p.m. ET.
- Talladega Nights-inspired restaurant sued by Sony Pictures 0
- It’s happy hour at Team Penske after Vegas sweep (VIDEO) 1
- Australian GP wide open, both from past stats and preseason tests 0
- For Josef Newgarden, year three is chance to enter IndyCar’s elite 1
- Kanaan set for more than just Indy 500 success with Ganassi switch in 2014 2
- Kurt Busch gives IndyCar chance to show they’ve learned lesson on promotion (10)
- F1 on NBC Sports TV, streaming schedule for 2014 Australian Grand Prix (7)
- Chrysler orders nearly 100 pristine Dodge Vipers destroyed (7)
- NNS: Elliott’s car found too low, shock taken from Keselowski’s car (6)
- Busch news kicks off what may be a busy Tuesday for IndyCar (5)