Dec 14, 2013, 7:41 PM EDT
If there is to be a 12th Formula One team competing in 2015 or 2016, it won’t be coming from the Volkswagen Group.
Earlier this week, the FIA announced that it was accepting applications through Jan. 3, 2014 for a new team to join the grid. However, VW has told ESPN F1 that it has no interest in joining the series.
“Currently there are no plans or intentions for the Volkswagen brand or any other brand of the Volkswagen Group to join Formula One,” a VW spokesman said. The VW Group features a portfolio of brands that includes Audi, Bentley, Lamborghini and Porsche.
Stories of VW possibly joining F1 have had a tendency to pop up on and off in recent years. In fact, back in 2012, a German newspaper reported that the carmaker was planning to break into the sport with Sauber in 2015 and was also planning on eventually making its own chassis.
But if we’re going to take the Group’s latest statement at face value, it looks like they have other priorities at this time.
Video from NASCAR America
- 2014 United States Grand Prix Preview 0
- Road To: Mercedes teaser – The very first Mercedes-Benz car (VIDEO) 0
- 2015 IndyCar schedule officially revealed; 17 races including 12 on NBCSN (VIDEO) 1
- Bianchi remains “critical but stable” but continues to fight, says family 2
- Has Formula 1 cracked the U.S. market in Austin? 3
- Behind the scenes: Lewis Hamilton on TODAY (VIDEO) 0
- Krista Voda to become host for NASCAR on NBC coverage next year 2