Dec 14, 2013, 7:41 PM EDT
If there is to be a 12th Formula One team competing in 2015 or 2016, it won’t be coming from the Volkswagen Group.
Earlier this week, the FIA announced that it was accepting applications through Jan. 3, 2014 for a new team to join the grid. However, VW has told ESPN F1 that it has no interest in joining the series.
“Currently there are no plans or intentions for the Volkswagen brand or any other brand of the Volkswagen Group to join Formula One,” a VW spokesman said. The VW Group features a portfolio of brands that includes Audi, Bentley, Lamborghini and Porsche.
Stories of VW possibly joining F1 have had a tendency to pop up on and off in recent years. In fact, back in 2012, a German newspaper reported that the carmaker was planning to break into the sport with Sauber in 2015 and was also planning on eventually making its own chassis.
But if we’re going to take the Group’s latest statement at face value, it looks like they have other priorities at this time.
Video from NASCAR America
- NASCAR schedule reveals some potential 2015 IndyCar schedule hints; Texas IndyCar returns 2
- Kevin Harvick riled at Tony Stewart portrayal in Kevin Ward Jr. tragedy 90
- Like a good stew, 2015 Sprint Cup schedule and new Chase format need time to simmer for best taste 1
- NASCAR AMERICA: How did the 2015 schedule come together? (VIDEO) 0
- NASCAR announces 2015 Sprint Cup, Nationwide, and Truck Series schedules (VIDEO) 5
- FIA won’t punish Nico Rosberg after Belgian GP incident with Lewis Hamilton 15
- Will Power once again in position for IndyCar title – but this time feels different 1