Dec 15, 2013, 7:05 PM EDT
Indy Lights prospect Jack Hawksworth will continue his bid to elevate himself into the IndyCar Series for 2014 when he tests for Dale Coyne Racing this week at Sebring International Raceway.
DCR will be part of a two-day Honda manufacturer test that begins on Wednesday at the Florida road course.
“The Honda manufacturer test is a massive shop window and an exciting opportunity to measure myself against the leading IndyCar drivers and really prove my potential at the highest level,” Hawksworth said in a release about the Coyne test.
“There will be some championship-winning teams and drivers there, and if I do a good job, hopefully my performance will keep my name in the frame for next year.”
Hawksworth was in the hunt for the Indy Lights championship this past season before finishing fourth in the standings with three victories and seven Top-5 finishes. During that campaign, he tested an IndyCar for the first time at Sebring but for another team, Rahal Letterman Lanigan Racing.
The Englishman believes that his confidence has grown as a result of the RLL test and that he’ll be able to have a better handle on things as he tests this week.
“[The RLL test] gives me a good footing to start from, and I also feel a lot more prepared returning to Sebring now as I’ll know more what to expect and will be able to treat it more like a normal test day,” he said.
“I’ve got a much better idea of what I’ll want from the car, I know the track well, I’m generally just a lot more sure of myself and that should all stand me in solid stead to go out there and turn it up a notch. It’s a big chance to make an impression and really spark some interest.”
Video from NASCAR America
- NASCAR AMERICA: Dale Earnhardt Jr. aims for better results in Chase (VIDEO) 0
- NASCAR AMERICA: Jeff Gordon, 24 team make statement at Dover (VIDEO) 0
- Weekend wrap-up: Was first Chase elimination race an exciting one? 0
- Tony Stewart speaks, cites overwhelming support in the search of return to normalcy 15
- Simon Pagenaud confirmed at Team Penske in fourth IndyCar 3
- Jeff Gordon advances to next round of Chase with first Dover victory since 2001 6
- Open letter from Kevin Ward Jr.’s aunt questions Tony Stewart, evidence of marijuana in nephew’s system 52