Dec 15, 2013, 3:16 PM EST
When most people think of a proper workout, it usually involves breaking a sweat on a treadmill or pumping some iron. But considering the demands of their sport, IndyCar drivers go for a more specialized approach to staying in shape.
In the clip above from IndyCar, Sarah Fisher Hartman Racing driver Josef Newgarden takes us into the gym and we get to see some exercises that may seem a little “out of the box” to some of us.
Particularly interesting are the array of lights that are used to test Newgarden’s reaction time throughout a grueling conditioning session. It certainly reminds of how racing competitors must always maintain their focus through constant stress.
For every high-level athlete, the amount of work put in during the off-season is critical to getting strong results in-season. And drivers are no different.
Video from NASCAR America
- Maurizio Arrivabene replaces Marco Mattiacci as Ferrari team principal 2
- Abu Dhabi GP Paddock Notebook – Sunday 0
- Hamilton calls second title victory “the greatest day of my life” 3
- Hamilton clinches second F1 world title by winning Abu Dhabi GP 10
- The Final Showdown: Hamilton and Rosberg prepare for one final battle in Abu Dhabi 0
- Vettel and Ricciardo to start Abu Dhabi GP from pit lane 0
- Abu Dhabi GP Paddock Notebook – Saturday 0