Dec 16, 2013, 1:00 PM EDT
Between Chip Ganassi Racing, Team Penske and Andretti Autosport, the three pre-eminent IndyCar Series teams now have 11 of the 21 cars confirmed for the 2014 season.
The better question, now that each has its lineup confirmed, is whose is best?
A few things to consider for each:
CHIP GANASSI RACING
- KNOWNS: Scott Dixon is widely considered the best all-around driver in the series, Tony Kanaan remains one of the best on ovals, Ryan Briscoe is technically savvy and makes few mistakes, and Charlie Kimball is an emerging star.
- UNKNOWNS: TK’s road and street course qualifying has been off of late, and how he’ll work with Chris Simmons engineering remains to be seen. Briscoe, back in the Ganassi fold full-time for the first time since 2005, should be more consistent but needs to maximize the machinery at his disposal more regularly. Kimball’s qualifying needs to continue to improve, as it did in 2013. How will Dixon and Kimball adjust to the Chevrolet powerplant is another question.
- KNOWNS: Will Power remains a beast on road and street courses, and has seriously upped his oval game. Helio Castroneves has calmed down since this new car was introduced and posted two great back-to-back seasons.
- UNKNOWNS: Juan Pablo Montoya. Is he going to be great, average, adequate or underwhelming? Can Power win consistently on ovals? Can Castroneves ever take home the title?
- KNOWNS: Ryan Hunter-Reay is a champion and should resume title contention with better luck. James Hinchcliffe, Marco Andretti and rookie Carlos Munoz are three of the most exciting drivers to watch.
- UNKNOWNS: Can the team shake off the lackluster second half of 2013 with improved reliability? Will Hinchcliffe mesh with his third different engineer in as many years? Will Andretti win races (plural)? Will Munoz pull a “Montoya ‘99” in starring in his first full year?
It’s mouth-watering to think of the battles between these three teams next year.
- Flashback to when a 67-second pit stop at the Indy 500 was fast vs. a modern-day F1 stop (video) 0
- VIDEO: Chinese GP Paddock Pass 0
- BREAKING NEWS: Swan Racing’s future in NASCAR in question 2
- Long Beach weekend atmosphere thrills Roger Daltrey, as he promotes Teen Cancer America 0
- Cooler heads prevail as IndyCar drivers test at Texas (VIDEO) 0
More from NASCAR America
- IndyCar: Massive crash triggered after round of pit stops (VIDEO) (17)
- American-based F1 franchise, Haas Formula, officially introduced (9)
- Andretti drivers say GP of Long Beach should stay with IndyCar (7)
- Kurt Busch won’t soon forget Clint Bowyer’s race-ruining shove at Darlington (VIDEO) (6)
- Dale Earnhardt Jr. and Jimmie Johnson do it old school style in a pair of classic pickup trucks (VIDEOS) (5)