Dec 17, 2013, 12:30 PM EDT
Phoenix Racing has announced that former Sprint Cup champion Bobby Labonte has landed a ride with the team for the 2014 Daytona 500. Labonte’s addition appears tied to the Daytona entry that former Phoenix owner James Finch mentioned during a recent SiriusXM NASCAR Radio interview.
“James continues to be a valuable part of our team and when he came up with the idea of running Bobby in a second car, I jumped at the opportunity to bring him back into the fold,” said team owner Harry Scott Jr., who ran Labonte at Michigan this past season. “Bobby is a veteran driver that can also provide valuable insight and leadership for Phoenix Racing.”
Labonte, now set for the 22nd Daytona 500 of his career, is also slated to run a number of other select races for Phoenix in 2014. Further details including car number, personnel, and sponsorship will be disclosed at a later date.
“I’m thrilled to be headed back to Daytona with Bobby Labonte,” Finch said. “I thank Harry Scott for this opportunity. He knew I would have to be weaned off racing, I can’t quit cold turkey.”
In 2010, Labonte drove for 14 races in Phoenix’s No. 09 machine back when Finch still controlled the team. This past year, driving Phoenix’s No. 51, he finished 43rd after an early crash at Michigan. Labonte drove the bulk of his 2013 schedule with JTG-Daugherty Racing, earning a top finish of 15th.
- After safety concerns, NASCAR announces changes to qualifying 1
- Red Bull’s Horner says Mercedes could lap field twice in Oz 0
- Complete 2014 F1 on NBC Sports TV Times, Schedule 1
- Keselowski’s crew chief on cooldown issue: “It’s a tough spot” 1
- IndyCar’s “nearly” man, Justin Wilson, set to overachieve once more 0
- F1 on NBC Sports TV, streaming schedule for 2014 Australian Grand Prix (7)
- Chrysler orders nearly 100 pristine Dodge Vipers destroyed (7)
- NNS: Elliott’s car found too low, shock taken from Keselowski’s car (6)
- Report: F1 apparently headed for Azerbaijan in 2015 or 2016 (5)
- The Dos Equis guy will give NASCAR’s start your engines command in Las Vegas (5)