Dec 17, 2013, 2:30 PM EDT
Following last week’s Sprint Cup test session at Charlotte Motor Speedway (pictured), NASCAR has announced the delivery of its 2014 competition package to Cup teams.
The new package will not be utilized in restrictor-plate races such as the season-opening Daytona 500 on Feb. 23, 2014. It will make its official debut on March 2, 2014 at the one-mile Phoenix International Raceway.
Major changes involved with the new package include:
- Statically set car at race ride height, eliminating pre- and post-race front height rules and inspection.
- The use of a front splitter with a square leading edge.
- Skirts at 4-inch minimum ground clearance on both the right and left sides.
- Rear fascia trimmed 1.375 inches higher in current scallop region.
- The use of an 8-inch high rear spoiler.
- The use of a 43-inch wide by 13-inch long radiator pan.
“It was important to get the final pieces of the rules package to teams as quickly as possible following the final tests last week,” NASCAR VP of innovation and racing development Gene Stefanyshyn said in a statement.
“Throughout the process, we gained valuable data that informed many of the changes for 2014. This data will prove useful as we continue to evolve the racing product into the future.”
This past year’s debut of the Generation 6 cars for the Sprint Cup Series wasn’t an altogether triumphant one, with the racing product often lacking at many of the series’ 1.5-mile ovals.
Twice this fall at Charlotte, NASCAR tested a variety of potential aero configurations to try and solve the problem. In last week’s aforementioned test, a series of simulated races were held to see how those configurations worked with a bigger group of cars.
“We looked at a number of important factors when finalizing what the 2014 version of the race package will look like,” Stefanyshyn continued.
“The Gen-6 car has been a great asset to our sport. As we continue to improve and develop the racing product, we’ll rely significantly on the critical data that has been generated by the entire industry over the last several weeks. We’re extremely appreciative of those efforts.”
Video from NASCAR America
- Remembering racing legend Raymond Beadle: ‘Once upon a time, I was the best at what I did’ 0
- Weekend wrap: Brad Keselowski rises up to Talladega challenge 0
- The irony of a winless driver winning a title in the new Chase still exists 0
- Roger Penske defends Keselowski, says other drivers “jealous” of his success 2
- What will NASCAR fans do now that their favorite drivers are eliminated from Chase? 9
- Brad Keselowski wins at Talladega on 2nd G-W-C attempt, advances in Chase 10
- UPDATED: Chase contender Kyle Busch back on track after Lap 102 crash (VIDEO) 0