Dec 17, 2013, 5:01 PM EST
Takuma Sato will return to A.J. Foyt’s No. 14 ABC Supply Co. Honda in the 2014 IndyCar Series season, the team announced Tuesday. This marks the first time since 2011 Sato will stay in the same team in consecutive seasons; he moved from KV Racing to Rahal Letterman Lanigan between 2011 and 2012, and from RLL to Foyt last offseason.
“This team is really special for me,” Sato said. “I always felt that the team was behind me and it gave me the confidence to go for the win in races. I’m very excited to continue to build this great relationship. We know what we need to focus on next year. We are anxious to test the new Honda (twin turbo) engine. From what I hear, the engine will put us in a great position to be up front more often in 2014.”
Added team director Larry Foyt, “Taku, our engineers and mechanics all gelled quickly last year, and getting to victory lane together was something we are all very proud of. We are focused on building on the positives from last season and working toward more victories and a higher standing in the championship.”
Sato will continue into his fifth IndyCar season with engineer Don Halliday and performance engineer Raul Prados.
A.J. Foyt stated more than once that he planned to continue with Sato and Honda into 2014, but official confirmation was delayed after a rash of late season accidents. Sato, additionally, announced plans to test in Formula E ahead of that series’ debut next year.
A second car will likely appear at Indianapolis, as it has for years, but this puts pause to the hopes of any new face stepping into this seat and closes another full-time seat on the 2014 grid.
- Toro Rosso reveals STR10 ahead of Jerez test 0
- Long: Journey for Wendell Scott’s family ends with a kiss (VIDEO) 0
- Elliott, Lorenzen, White, Scott, and Weatherly enter NASCAR Hall of Fame (VIDEO) 0
- NASCAR Media Tour Content Recap: All posts, one place 0
- Gridiron Challenge: NASCAR drivers take football stars for a spin (VIDEO) 1
- Hall of Fame Induction Ceremony headlines 6.5 hours of NASCAR on NBCSN 0
- Ferrari reveals SF15-T for 2015 Formula 1 season 5