Dec 18, 2013, 5:15 PM EDT
Audi has revealed almost all the details of its 2014 motorsport program, after leaking out initial and updated images of its flagship LMP1 prototype. The German manufacturer announced the innovations on its R18 e-tron quattro LMP1 chassis, as well as its other racing programs for the new year.
Audi confirmed a third R18 for the 24 Hours of Le Mans in addition to its two full season entries in the FIA World Endurance Championship. A driver lineup though, was not revealed. Allan McNish announced his retirement on Tuesday, which leaves one key vacancy alongside fellow World Champions Tom Kristensen and Loic Duval.
The marque’s DTM program continues with Audi Sport Teams Abt Sportsline, Phoenix and Rosberg in the Audi RS 5.
In the TUDOR United SportsCar Championship, Audi confirmed the American-spec R8, which differs slightly from the full FIA GT3-spec R8 LMS, will continue for customer programs. Thus far, the Flying Lizard Motorsports, Fall-Line Motorsports, Paul Miller Racing and GMG Racing have committed five Audis to the grid.
Audi’s full release is linked here, via its official website.
- Report: Toto Wolff speaks out against F1′s double points finale 2
- IndyCar: Toronto weekend analysis, musings and observations 0
- NASCAR’s Brian France on RTA’s formation: “We didn’t think it was necessary” 12
- Eldora and Indy putting a lot on Tony Stewart’s plate 0
- Todd Gilliland, 14, outdistances father David, grandfather Butch in first time they’ve all raced together 0