Dec 18, 2013, 5:34 PM EDT
Red Bull’s motorsports program announced a three-driver group for its Junior team in 2014 that includes Carlos Sainz, Jr. and newcomers Alex Lynn (pictured) and Pierre Gasly.
Gasly, 17, and Sainz, 19, will both compete in the World Series by Renault, while Lynn, 20, is slated to race in the GP3 series for the Carlin team – a team that has shepherded multiple Red Bull Junior drivers through the years, including four-time reigning Formula One champion Sebastian Vettel.
Lynn emerges from the FIA European Formula 3 series, where he finished third in this year’s championship with three wins. One of those victories came in Formula 3’s most important race, the Macau Grand Prix.
“I think that it is obviously fantastic to be privileged enough to join the team that has produced so many Formula One drivers and that includes the greatest driver of our generation so far,” Lynn said of his accomplishment in a Red Bull release.
As for Gasly, he moves to the WSR after winning the championship in the Formula Renault 2.0 Eurocup category with three wins along the way. He will race for the Arden team.
“It is the best news that I could have at the end of the season because for next year I have all the best people around me to focus on my performance,” Gasly said in the same release.
“For next year I think that the goal is clear, I have seen from this year and previous seasons that it is possible to do a good job in the first season so the goal is to win the championship.”
Then there’s Sainz Jr., who will now solely focus on the WSR after splitting his 2013 season between there and GP3. He will suit up for DAMS, the same squad that helped Kevin Magnussen win this year’s series title before his elevation to F1 with McLaren.
A tough act to follow for sure, but Sainz believes he’s up to the task – especially now that he’ll only have one series to worry about.
“I think that it can be a very good thing, just to focus on one series and try to get the most out of it instead of trying to do several championships in different cars,” he said for Red Bull.
“I’ll be focusing only on this category and be trying to win it because I know that if I do well it can be very good for my future.”
Video from NASCAR America
- NHRA stunner: Jimmy Prock out as John Force’s crew chief 8
- Kurt Busch and Danica Patrick will swap crews at Stewart-Haas (UPDATED) 8
- Statement from Caterham provides unclear future for team’s plans (UPDATED) 3
- Dale Earnhardt Jr. featured in new concussion awareness initiative (VIDEO) 0
- NASCAR AMERICA: Jeff Gordon’s “Drive For Five” continues at Martinsville (VIDEO) 0
- NASCAR won’t penalize Ryan Newman, No. 31 team for Talladega infraction 0
- Total CEO dies in Moscow plane crash 1