Dec 19, 2013, 9:30 AM EDT
After talking about the big stories and ranking our Top 10 drivers from the 2013 FIA Formula One World Championship season, my colleague Chris Estrada and I are taking a look back on how each of the 23 Formula One drivers who took to the grid fared this past year.
Taking 14th in the championship and now on his way to Red Bull is Daniel Ricciardo…
No. 19 Scuderia Toro Rosso-Ferrari
2013 Stats: 14th Place, 0 Wins, 0 Podiums, 0 Top-5, 7 Top-10s, 0 Laps Led
Average Start: 10.5
Average Finish: 13.4
DiZinno says: As has been written elsewhere, Ricciardo did a good job with his machinery at his disposal and again punched above the car’s weight when it came down to race pace. The qualifying remained better on average than teammate Jean-Eric Vergne, and Ricciardo’s ceiling appears higher as well. No particular race stood out more than any other, but that’s not a bad thing. It means Ricciardo appears to have the consistency to bag the result on a regular basis.
Estrada says: Saturdays were when Ricciardo made hay this season. The Australian managed to push his STR8 into Q3 a total of nine times, which is a good sign for him as he prepares to step into the second Red Bull opposite Sebastian Vettel. He also showed some good signs on Sundays as well. Back in Part Two, I mentioned his seventh-place performances and China and Italy but failed to do the same regarding a nifty charge from 19th to 10th at Belgium. In summary, he did what he had to do in order to get Red Bull to put its faith and trust in him.
- IndyCar’s “nearly” man, Justin Wilson, set to overachieve once more 0
- The ingredients are set for Graham Rahal’s big, breakout year 0
- Talladega Nights-inspired restaurant sued by Sony Pictures 2
- It’s happy hour at Team Penske after Vegas sweep (VIDEO) 2
- Australian GP wide open, both from past stats and preseason tests 0
- Kurt Busch gives IndyCar chance to show they’ve learned lesson on promotion (10)
- F1 on NBC Sports TV, streaming schedule for 2014 Australian Grand Prix (7)
- Chrysler orders nearly 100 pristine Dodge Vipers destroyed (7)
- NNS: Elliott’s car found too low, shock taken from Keselowski’s car (6)
- Busch news kicks off what may be a busy Tuesday for IndyCar (5)