Dec 19, 2013, 1:00 PM EDT
After talking about the big stories and ranking our Top 10 drivers from the 2013 FIA Formula One World Championship season, my colleague Chris Estrada and I are taking a look back on how each of the 23 Formula One drivers who took to the grid fared this past year.
A tumultuous campaign yielded 18th in the driver’s standings for Pastor Maldonado…
No. 16 Williams-Renault
2013 Stats: 18th Place, 0 Wins, 0 Podiums, 0 Top-5, 0 Top-10s, 0 Laps Led
Average Start: 16.1
Average Finish: 14.6
DiZinno says: Pastor Maldonado is perhaps the most polarizing driver currently in Formula One. Others have written that he’s not nearly as bad as he’s made out to be – a GP2 title, his excellent 2012 Spanish Grand Prix win and several standout qualifying efforts bear that out – but a fluctuation in consistency, temperament and pace often makes him the hardest to get a read on. It’s not as though Bottas smoked him in the other car this year, because both had a difficult time extracting the maximum. Still, one solitary point was a disappointing haul, and it’s hard to say that he shifts to Lotus for 2014 purely on talent.
Estrada says: Talk about a fall from grace. One year ago, Maldonado was hailed as the man that broke Williams’ seven-year win drought. But by the end of 2013, he was already set for departure from Grove after his relationship with the team crumbled. One point is always better than none, but make no mistake: The year was a disaster. Next year brings new surroundings for the Venezuelan driver at Lotus, whose team principal, Eric Bouiller, has said that his squad can turn Maldonado into a steady point-scorer. At this time, it’s debatable how many fans actually believe him.
- DiZinno: Mid-Ohio a dream weekend for Rahal, IndyCar, fans 0
- Dates for 2016 IndyCar schedule starting to come together 3
- NHRA: ‘Fast Jack’ Beckman earns 5th Funny Car win of 2015; Brown (TF), McGaha (PS), Krawiec (PSM) also win 5
- After dream-fulfilling day, Graham Rahal isn’t worried anymore 1
- Graham Rahal now trails Montoya by nine points in IndyCar standings 4
- Karam’s Mid-Ohio spin triggers frustration, skepticism from IndyCar paddock 13
- Rahal scores dream win on home soil in Honda 200 at Mid-Ohio 4