Dec 20, 2013, 9:00 AM EDT
The DeltaWing Racing Cars team has made a splash for its Rolex 24 at Daytona 2014 lineup. Caterham Formula One reserve driver Alexander Rossi will join team regulars Andy Meyrick and Katherine Legge aboard the team’s No. 0 DeltaWing DWC13 Coupe for Daytona. The Jan. 25-26 race opens the 2014 TUDOR United SportsCar Championship season.
Rossi participated in two Friday free practice sessions in F1 this year, in Montreal and Austin, and made his 24-hour race debut at Le Mans for the Caterham-backed Greaves Motorsport LMP2 entry in June.
“The 24 Hours of Daytona is an important motorsport event and I’m honored to be driving for Don Panoz and his DeltaWing project,” said Rossi. “Being able to race and work with Panoz is a bit surreal for me, as I grew up karting and watching his rich history in American motorsport and the cars he designed. I’m fairly new to endurance / sports car racing, but after the success of Le Mans I’m looking forward to the new challenge of Daytona. It’s also a privilege to work with experienced teammates like Katherine Legge and Andy Meyrick. I especially want to thank Don Panoz and David Price for their confidence in my abilities.”
DeltaWing team boss David Price reached out to Rossi to see if he’d be available for Daytona, and indeed he was.
“It wasn’t complicated,” said Price. “I asked him if he wanted to do Daytona and he said yes! There are not an abundance of American drivers in Formula One right now, so to have someone of his ability to drive for us is significant. Daytona is a circuit that suits the characteristics of this car; we were competitive at the test last month so we will focus on reliability and build on that going forward.”
Legge and Meyrick tested the DeltaWing coupe at Daytona in November and posted a very respectable 1:40.883 best lap in 131 laps of testing. The pair teamed to race the DeltaWing, run by managing partner Don Panoz, in seven American Le Mans Series events in 2013. Legge joined the team beginning at Mazda Raceway Laguna Seca in May.
- Vettel suspects Mercedes of sandbagging during practice 1
- Mattiacci determined to turn around Ferrari’s failing season 4
- Hamilton recovers in FP2 to edge out Alonso and Rosberg 0
- Alonso fastest in first practice for Chinese GP 1
- Flashback to when a 67-second pit stop at the Indy 500 was fast vs. a modern-day F1 stop (video) 4
More from NASCAR America
- IndyCar: Massive crash triggered after round of pit stops (VIDEO) (17)
- American-based F1 franchise, Haas Formula, officially introduced (9)
- Andretti drivers say GP of Long Beach should stay with IndyCar (7)
- Kurt Busch won’t soon forget Clint Bowyer’s race-ruining shove at Darlington (VIDEO) (6)
- Former FIA prez Max Mosley rubbishes F1′s ongoing noise saga (6)